Texas Tech

www.ttu.edu
  www.ttu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Tech

Studying at Texas Tech has been a great experience.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Lubbock, TX
Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Texas Tech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Texas Tech offers outstanding facilities to students in the field of academics, sports, entertainment, fitness, etc. It has a brilliant dedicated staff and faculty in almost every department. The campus is huge and absolutely gorgeous.

Cons

The weather is very unpredictable and extreme as in when it's hot, it's really hot and when it's cold, it's freezing cold. Lubbock in general is a very quiet place and not very scenic.

Keep up the good work!!!

219 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Tech (View Most Recent)

Too much office politics to get anything meaningful done.

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Texas Tech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Works around your schedule
    -Provides training if you lack experience
    -Offers pay raises to students

Cons

-Takes 10 emails to 5 different departments to get one thing done
    -Salaries are so low only the most incompetent people apply
    -Impossible to change policies

Fire the weak and hire better talent. What little money we have is wasted by the decisions of a select few, who forget to breath sometimes.

Lots of School Spirit but also Lots of Red Tape

Former Employee - Senior Business Assistant in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Assistant in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Texas Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great. The school spirit is astounding, and there were always a variety of cultural events going on. The Texas Tech Credit Union is great and I highly recommend joining it. Tech employees who used direct deposit with them got their pay a day early most of the time. The campus is well cared for, and clean. Tech is a big campus, but they have an excellent shuttle bus system.

Cons

Make sure the pay level you start at is enough for you, because once you are employed here, your pay will not rise very much at all. Sometimes it seemed the only way to get more money was to transfer your way into a higher level position with more pay.

The parking situation for new employees means that you will most likely have to park in the commuter parking out by the credit union and ride the shuttle bus to your office. The only drawback to the bus system is that it ends around 7 p.m., so plan accordingly. Also, be sure to get your name on the waiting list right away for the parking lot you want, because it can take a long time.

Try to learn as much unofficial information as you can about a department before you take a job within that department, don't take things at face value. Try to find people who are willing to be honest about that department. Overall, the school is good, but certain departments have reputations for being difficult to work in.

If you do not work well within a bureaucratic type of organization, you should probably not apply here. There are rules for everything, and patience is required because all the correct signatures have to be gathered before some things can happen.

Individual creativity can be somewhat stifled. This is not unique to Texas Tech, though. I'm sure all large universities have the same structure.

While some jobs at Texas Tech do not require student contact, it would be better for the students' sake if there was some way of making sure job candidates who are hired for student contact jobs were more outgoing, patient, and friendly. I once had a junior student tell me that I was the first person who had actually been nice to him and tried to help him and not just send him to some other office across campus. It made me sad to hear that.

I think the University should try to implement job rotation to help combat employee burnout that can affect how the employees treat students. I know not all students are nice, and they can be emotional, but employees need to be trained better in how to deal with this part of the job.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Tech