Thales

www.thalesgroup.com
  www.thalesgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thales

step stone company

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good average engineering salary with yearly bonus

Cons

too much to list. bonus mentioned in the Pros would be "forgotten" if the job was lost or new was found at the year end, tho you was working the whole year. hard to get training even if it's required to benefit the company. Employees are not assuming responsibilities, information hard to chase, some mid level mangers are not competent in what they are doing. a lot of office politics / games. company loosing bids due to outdated technologies. laid offs hide by termination - just to do not report to EI. unfriendly environment.

keep going!

118 Other Employee Reviews for Thales (View Most Recent)

Employment satisfaction is waning.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Thales full-time

Pros

Understanding of family commitments. The workplace definitely has a focus on focusing on valuing time with your family.
    Stability. Many employees have been there for long time.
    Still giving out overtime payouts.
    Interesting projects. There are some interesting projects ( but look at cons).
    Senior management are good. I found them to be very intelligent and knowledgeable. They also have good focus and are definitely leaders.

Cons

Benefits. Benefits were reduced without the option to opt into a a plan that was more expensive but with the same coverage.
    Boring projects. While there are interesting projects, there are also very boring projects that makes work feel like a sweat shop.
    Project management. I've notice that the company is big on piling tons of work on people. Some people get the short end of the stick and just become bogged down. This is good and bad but I've noticed that the focus is to look busy rather than be productive. So while engineers are definitely busy, I don't know if we are producing quality products.
    Middle management. Most are not leaders and seem not to have knowledge on project management. Seems everyone passes the buck to avoid getting in trouble.
    Lack of socialization. People here do not openly socialize. Not many team building exercises, events, or even lunches. People keep their heads down.
    Definition of "Agile" is code for paperwork.

Take a course in project management. Every project I have been on follows every horrible mistake outlined in the "Mythical Man Month". Be open to new ideas and take risks. I have not seen any risk takers during my time with the company. With this mentality, you will never find the intrapreneur you are looking for. Middle managers require more grooming to become effective leaders.

Great company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training and support, good benefits package, fast-paced dependent on department.

Cons

Becoming very top-level corporate in day to day running

Need to retain local management.

There are newer employer reviews for Thales