The Arc - Middlesex County

www.arc-middlesex.org
  www.arc-middlesex.org
There are newer employer reviews for The Arc - Middlesex County

We do it for the clients, not for the rude treatment and disregard we face from our top dogs.

Current Employee - Vocational in North Brunswick, NJ
Current Employee - Vocational in North Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at The Arc - Middlesex County

Pros

It's a great feeling to be part of improving the quality of life of the people we support. It's a good way to make other professional contacts in your local community and to learn how to be more sensitive to other people.

Cons

You will be invisible to upper management. We are all replaceable and we are only recognized when something is not done correctly. No room for advancement, no raises in 4 years but you will continually be given heavier work loads with no support from Directors. You will be exhausted from your big caseloads and told that you need to bring more money in for the agency. The quality of support to our clients is not important to the Executive Directors, they just push you to get quality because that's how they get paid. When you ask for assistance from an you will be ignored and not even acknowledged. The sarcasm and lack of social skills from upper Management is laughable. You will be treated as a nuisance if you address any issues out of an Executive Directors comfort level. You have a fashion police Director who will embarrass you for wearing anything that isn't loosefitting and matronly because it's "unprofessional." Forget holiday parties, bonuses bigger than $100, raises, overtime, respect and dignity. You don't get that here.

Recognize that bad morale can not be ignored or it will keep trickling down and effect every aspect of the organization. Treat your employees kindly and reward, recognize them when appropriate. Take an active interest in your employees well being. Consider quality over quantity if you wish to be the provider of choice.

6 Other Employee Reviews for The Arc - Middlesex County (View Most Recent)

A terminal illness is better than working for this agency/

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in North Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in North Brunswick, NJ

I worked at The Arc - Middlesex County full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for this agency is that I met a lot of great people, peers, and connections over the time I spent here. I've learned a lot, and personally grew from the experience. The participants are great, and you will definitely see a lot of hard work from the DSP's, so that the participants can flourish.

Cons

Well for starters, the upper management is absolutely horrid! Most of them are self-righteous, and use their job title as a form of power. They look down upon the DSP"s (ya know, those small guys who do all the dirty work, and the reason why this agency is still in operation), and they expect that these employee's do twenty jobs at once. Heaven forbid you forget something, or make a mistake, you will get written up (What was I thinking for using the bathroom?!). But seriously, management is power hungry. There is no room for promotions (unless if you are a "yes man"), there are no raises, bonuses, and perks. They expect you to learn everything on your own. They talk down to you like you are child. Don't even bother making complaints, they will go unsolved... That is if you do not get fired for complaining. HR department is a waste of space. Seriously, the upper management needs a complete makeover. Furthermore, rules and policies are constantly being changed. It's all about nepotism. You could be written up for filling out a paper the wrong way, but some "Yes man" who makes the same mistake will get away with it.

Stop changing policies to benefit yourself! Learn how to properly treat your employee's. Stop talking to them like children. A Thank you, although appreciated, does not pay the bills. $10.00/hr is grossly not enough for hat the DSP position entails, and prices everywhere are going up. Give raises!!! Your current and future employee's will appreciate the fact that they can have a little extra money. If you make these small changes, you will see a better turn out with your employee's, and they will stop leaving the agency. You lost many awesome employee's because you do not know how to treat them, and they are severely underpaid.

What an awful employment experience!

I worked at The Arc - Middlesex County

Pros

Made some lifetime friends here. What a great group of creative, kind people despite terrible working conditions.

Cons

The main cons are outdated or limited resources and lack of support and compassion for employees. Cold and detached senior management.

Your employees are the ones keeping you in business. Treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve.

There are newer employer reviews for The Arc - Middlesex County