There are newer employer reviews for The Arc

Rewarding work

Current Employee - Support
Current Employee - Support

I have been working at The Arc part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the job. Anyone in the industry of service to people with special needs is usually in it for something more than the money, and the daily rewards of seeing clients develop in their confidence, independence, and health are incredible.
the focus of the company on the welfare of clients and training staff thoroughly for their jobs is phenomenal

Cons

The turnover in case managers (or whatever the position is now called) is fairly frustrating. The consistent change in supervisors makes it difficult to report concerns and makes employees occasionally more hesitant to share.

Address the supervisor turnover issue.

44 Other Employee Reviews for The Arc (View Most Recent)

Not the best

Current Employee - QIDP  in  Rock Island, IL
    Current Employee - QIDP in Rock Island, IL

I have been working at The Arc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and holidays off

Cons

Upper management is unprofessional, more concerned with revenue than care of the clients.

Bittersweet.

I have been working at The Arc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The clients are the best thing about this agency. They really are wonderful to work with, and have taught me so much in the several years that I have been with the agency. There are some really great staff as well. People who are in it for the right reasons. People that care about the clients AS WELL AS their coworkers. There is a new executive director, which gives those of us who have a real issue with the way we are currently treated by management a glimmer of hope that the culture will improve before we just can't take it anymore and leave the work and the individuals that we love.

Cons

There probably isn't enough room in this box to impart the true evil of some of the upper management. They are both corrupt and verbally abusive to their staff. And SPITEFUL! The number of GREAT staff that I have seen walk out the door because they were belittled or treated with malice is a shame. What I find most disheartening is that the ones that really suffer for their disgusting behavior are the clients. The culture is horrible because the lower level managers fear for their jobs and act as puppets to senior management, being forced to sacrifice their own ideas and values, so ultimately those few senior managers who lead by power hungry intimidation control all.

ARC of Rocklands reputation in the community is lackluster at best, and there is a reason for that. When people leave, they talk about their experience to others in the community. Let's make this a great place to work again. Forge a better relationship with your employees and therefore the community. Exit interviews would be a great way for the new exec to learn why people feel they have to leave. Also, there are so many intelligent and creative people who work for you. They all have ideas about how to raise funds, and make this a better place for the people we serve. USE THEM! To make everyone feel as though we were a team working for a common goal would make a world of difference. Maybe then people would want IN rather than be desperate to find a way out. And last but not least, be NICE to your staff. We deserve it, and so do the people you are supposed to be serving.

There are newer employer reviews for The Arc

Worked for The Arc? Contribute to the Community!