The Art Institutes (HQ)

www.artinstitutes.edu
  www.artinstitutes.edu
There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ)

For profit school owned by a big corporation; good, talented local people controlled by big level execs.

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My fellow teachers were, for the most part, talented and knowledgeable and really sincere about wanting to help students succeed, as were the Department Chairs and Dean. The support staff were helpful and knowledgeable. While they didn't have very high admissions standards for students, MOST students were dedicated and interested, really wanted to be there, and wanted to work hard. The facilities were OK but not as good as our competitors.

Cons

Google "Art Institutes" to see negative. Very low admissions standards. Some students should not have graduated high school. A few teachers had never worked in the field in which they were teaching, or simply couldn't draw their way out of a bag. We were also dictated to by the owner corporation re: textbooks and curriculum changes, with very little say-so in what we thought the students needed. No raises for several years, followed by ridiculously large massive layoffs that were not thought through. Lots of VERY highly qualified faculty were let go and some of the bad ones stayed just because they'd been there longer. The good, dedicated students will be the ones most hurt by the layoffs.(Well, of course, other than the teachers who are now out of jobs...)

How much space do I have? Admissions portfolios!!! Higher GPA requirements! Give us teachers something we can work with, and your placement percentages will go up, and you will make money and you won't need to slash and burn like you're doing right now.

Look at companies like Toyota for how to run a business. Put out a god product, stop cutting corners, and the money will come. Start genuinely caring about educating people instead of just grubbing for money. Stop thinking of art and cooking as toss-off industries that any idiot can master; it's insulting to your teachers. Stop giving out massive loans to people who don't understand what they're getting into.

More flexibility for faculty re: curriculum and textbooks. Give us back a budget for bringing in guest speakers from our field. Give us some decent facilities like our competitor schools. We know what we're doing; let us do our job and YOUR school will regain its good reputation and succeed! (Although I'm not sure your reputation is salvageable at this point...) Your teachers are the heart of your school and you just shot yourself in the heart.

118 Other Employee Reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ) (View Most Recent)

Deception

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time

Pros

Benefit plans, Tuition Voucher, Pay, PTO

Cons

Disloyal leadership, fearful atmosphere, deceit, favoritism, apathetic leadership, backstabbing atmosphere, no performance feedback or reviews for new employees, negative feedback, zero training, bullying management, will fire anyone without performing an investigation or ever giving warnings, lawsuits throughout the company constantly, Allows some to break policies and fires others; can't find the consistency

Think over extreme decisions and actually discuss with others to get more than one point of view. Relying on the same employee to make decisions is not effective. Personal agendas over rule logic when only one person calls the shots; credibility and reputation are put at risk daily by indifferent supervisors. Listen to your staffs ideas, if they are passionate enough to share ideas, don't discount immediately. Hire more qualified managers to run important departments. Promoting from within isn't always the answer. Especially when the promotion doesn't change the location or position.

Terrible company to work for, doesn't value employees or students

Current Employee - High School Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - High School Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The concept of the schools were good back in the day before they were purchased by Goldman and sacs. Now they are running after quantity not quality it's very sad indeed and it's ruining lives. The instructors for the most part care a great deal for their students futures.

Cons

Constantly making promises they don't intend to keep. Taking away all hopes of moving up in the company. They want high turn over because it's cheap and easy to find new employees even if they have no experience whatsoever.

There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ)