The Art Institutes (HQ)

www.artinstitutes.edu
  www.artinstitutes.edu
There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ)

Think again, unless you're a sales career driven individual!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, a good starting pay

Cons

I had no idea that this was a sales position; had I known, I would have never applied or taken the position. The work/life balance is awful, it's very difficult to manage your personal life when you're always at work. You will work late (6pm - 8pm) and Saturdays (6 days a week). High stress and redundant work, as the work is simple but your work days consist of calling people who are or were once upon a time interested in the school. You will have to meet enrollment goals. High micro-management! Our team meets at least once a week for a one on one meeting with a manger and two regular meets to see where our sales goals are. The company is on a budget, there is no room for promotion or salary increases, fyi. No overtime. High turnover. You'll work holidays and it's very hard to use the nice amount of PTO given to you by the company because of the blackout dates. If you enjoy sales, you may like it. If not, run!!!

Be honest about the nature of this position. My entire training group had no idea that this was a sales job. Work on allowing your employees to have time away from the job. Working six days a week is not okay, It's extremely tiring.

118 Other Employee Reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ) (View Most Recent)

For profit school owned by a big corporation; good, talented local people controlled by big level execs.

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My fellow teachers were, for the most part, talented and knowledgeable and really sincere about wanting to help students succeed, as were the Department Chairs and Dean. The support staff were helpful and knowledgeable. While they didn't have very high admissions standards for students, MOST students were dedicated and interested, really wanted to be there, and wanted to work hard. The facilities were OK but not as good as our competitors.

Cons

Google "Art Institutes" to see negative. Very low admissions standards. Some students should not have graduated high school. A few teachers had never worked in the field in which they were teaching, or simply couldn't draw their way out of a bag. We were also dictated to by the owner corporation re: textbooks and curriculum changes, with very little say-so in what we thought the students needed. No raises for several years, followed by ridiculously large massive layoffs that were not thought through. Lots of VERY highly qualified faculty were let go and some of the bad ones stayed just because they'd been there longer. The good, dedicated students will be the ones most hurt by the layoffs.(Well, of course, other than the teachers who are now out of jobs...)

How much space do I have? Admissions portfolios!!! Higher GPA requirements! Give us teachers something we can work with, and your placement percentages will go up, and you will make money and you won't need to slash and burn like you're doing right now.

Look at companies like Toyota for how to run a business. Put out a god product, stop cutting corners, and the money will come. Start genuinely caring about educating people instead of just grubbing for money. Stop thinking of art and cooking as toss-off industries that any idiot can master; it's insulting to your teachers. Stop giving out massive loans to people who don't understand what they're getting into.

More flexibility for faculty re: curriculum and textbooks. Give us back a budget for bringing in guest speakers from our field. Give us some decent facilities like our competitor schools. We know what we're doing; let us do our job and YOUR school will regain its good reputation and succeed! (Although I'm not sure your reputation is salvageable at this point...) Your teachers are the heart of your school and you just shot yourself in the heart.

Deception

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time

Pros

Benefit plans, Tuition Voucher, Pay, PTO

Cons

Disloyal leadership, fearful atmosphere, deceit, favoritism, apathetic leadership, backstabbing atmosphere, no performance feedback or reviews for new employees, negative feedback, zero training, bullying management, will fire anyone without performing an investigation or ever giving warnings, lawsuits throughout the company constantly, Allows some to break policies and fires others; can't find the consistency

Think over extreme decisions and actually discuss with others to get more than one point of view. Relying on the same employee to make decisions is not effective. Personal agendas over rule logic when only one person calls the shots; credibility and reputation are put at risk daily by indifferent supervisors. Listen to your staffs ideas, if they are passionate enough to share ideas, don't discount immediately. Hire more qualified managers to run important departments. Promoting from within isn't always the answer. Especially when the promotion doesn't change the location or position.

There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes (HQ)