Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Nashville, TN

I have been working at The Art Institutes

Pros

The company allows you to be you. It's a open community for GLBT. The pay is very competitive and the benefits are great.

Cons

The job is not for someone married or with children. The sales side of it makes it very challenging to do a quality job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. Take in to account the things we are unhappy about and try to make accomodations.

reviews filtered by

The Art Institute of Austin is interested in numbers and mediocrity.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Austin, TX

I worked at The Art Institutes

Pros

* Plenty of opportunities to build up your teaching portfolio and get lots of classes on your resume.
    * Relative autonomy (depending on your academic director)
    * Lots of other great faculty to work with

Cons

* The executive committee (including the revolving door of "presidents" who often don't even have masters degrees)
    * A general sense that the students are much more important than the faculty. This seems great in theory, but doesn't work when it means we have students that should not be enrolled and the faculty are just told to bend over and deal with them.
    * If you want to stick around long, you will teach year-round. This is very difficult because AI is on a quarter schedule and other schools in the area use semesters. Good luck paying your bills.
    * Constant schedule fluctuations. This means that one quarter you'll have a great schedule, and the next it will be completely upended, not allowing you to do any outside work.
    * Did I mention poor upper management?
    * Terrible facilities and equipment. Unbelievable for an institution that charges students $90,000 for a bachelor's degree.
    * Budgets are always problematic at institutions of higher education, but it's absurd how bad it is at AI.
    * Nothing can be changed in the overall curriculum without approval from the Houston campus. Approval = them modifying their curriculum as well. There is no campus autonomy in this respect.

For the money they pay, our students should have access to top-notch everything, and they don't even have the best in the Austin area. That's pretty stunning.

Advice to Management

Don't take my word for it, ask the students and other faculty. There is a general lack of pride in this place because senior management (read: the Executive Committee) is interested in numbers above quality students. They're lucky we're in a recession, otherwise people would have somewhere else to go.

Prepare to not have a life...

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Art Institutes

Pros

Fantastic benefits, some really great people to work with, and free food on occasion. Fantastic professors and loved the staff in other departments.

Cons

Wow...where to even start. You can't take any vacation on black listed weeks, and there are a lot of them. Management fed applications to specific people in order to make it look like you needed to work harder. There was unfair treatment of various genders in the work place. I was admonished for wearing red lipstick to work and another co-worker was told he needed to get rid of his facial hair. I felt like there was always some sort of mind game going on and not a realistic view of the students' ability to pay back tuition of that magnitute in a manner that was true to life.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like numbers and those ridiculous reports you fill out every day are not a good idea. I don't see where showing that I made 120 phone calls in one day amounts to much if you are giving out old lists of inquiries. Especially when half the numbers were disconnected.