Lack of leadership

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with a lot of creative, fun people.
Get to help people with education

Cons

I was at AIS for 15 months, and in that time we had three school presidents, two HR directors (the second one quit right after I left), and all leadership in my department turned over. Among the workers in my dept, there was 100% turnover in that time. We also received many mixed messages about how to do the admissions role. On one hand, we were told that it's "the right student in the right program at the right time." On the other hand, we were also told to get them in for an interview "and reel them in." Also, the 2nd HR manager told me that this wasn't a job to have if you liked work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing and trust your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The ship is sinking at all The Art Institutes!

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students who are there trying and trusting they can obtain an education there. Some of the faculty.

Cons

Telemarketing is the main activity for advisors, not building personal relationships within the industry because all the focus is on HOW MANY phone calls are made per day. There are mandatory quotas, and it has become busy work that prevents advisors from doing their work and bring their professionalism to students and the industry. The career services staffs everywhere have been reduced to so few advisors per school that students are not provided anything close to the kind of career assistance they've been promised when they enrolled, and students are paying a very high cost of education there. One of the selling points of attending the Art Institutes was that in the past, before all the ruthless employee cuts were made, students were provided with specialized advisors who knew their industries, and who networked in real ways, in person and at industry events, as well as phone and email, to build a base of employers who hired the students. Now phones in advisors offices are bugged to make sure the advisor is making the mandatory number of calls per day, as if they're selling magazines. It's become a horrible depressing place to work, and most of the good people in career services have left even if they weren't downsized out. .

Advice to Management

Current policies are idiotic and profit is the driving motive for all decisions. The morale is horrible, and the company has totally changed from the days when it was a great place to both work, and for students to pursue their dream. Management should be ashamed of the destruction they have wrought throughout the entire system. Probably are positioning the company to sell, it is widely believed. It's a sinking ship.

Lies. Dishonesty. Disappointment

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Art Institutes

Pros

The highest pay I've seen in private ed

Cons

Unethical when it comes to recruiting techniques. Inquiries are paper and only given to a select few. HIGH turn over.

Advice to Management

You spend $$$ to send employees to training, let them apply that training legally and ethically and enrollment and retention would be higher. Stop cutting corners and favoring 1 person who cant work all inquiries alone