The Art of Shaving

www.theartofshaving.com
  www.theartofshaving.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Art of Shaving

Great place to work and get started in luxury sales

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of recognition for performance and you are really given the proper tools to succeed if you indeed want to. no cap on commissions! lots of room for growth if you are open to good coaching.

Cons

Not for people who want to just stand there and get paid. you are accountable for your goals. depending on location slow times can get a little boring.

45 Other Employee Reviews for The Art of Shaving (View Most Recent)

Shaving Company Promotes Conspicuous Consumption While Treating Employees Like Dirt and Customers Like ATMs

Former Employee - Shaving Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Shaving Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at The Art of Shaving

Pros

The Art of Shaving sells a good product--an all natural line of shaving products and skin care. You can be proud of the fact that you sell a product that actually makes a difference in the lives of the people who use it. On the other hand, they push an extremely over-priced line of razor handles, shaving brushes, and stands which cost ten times what they should.

Cons

The main problem with working for The Art of Shaving is that it is a young company full of management with absolutely no idea how to run a company. There are some guidelines, mostly designed to intimidate the sales associates into behaving, but mostly there is a sense that nobody knows what they are doing in upper management. No training is provided, except the scant instruction given by the store manager when you first arrive, although there is supposedly a company trainer. I often wondered how this person filled their day. It certainly wasn't by traveling to stores and training people.

Aside from the lack of guidance, there is a general lack of positive reinforcement. People are very rarely applauded for a job well-done, and when they are it's at the cost of those who might not be selling as much for one reason or another. There is a "heroes and zeroes" list, which is designed to shame people into selling more, or risk being a "zero" in the eyes of the company. Every week, a "Who worked this week" email is sent, ranking sales associates by sales figures, implying that the ones lower on the list did not try as hard. This atmosphere attracts the worst kind of dictatorial supervisors I have ever encountered.

As far as the customer goes, The Art of Shaving couldn't care less. It is a profit-driven enterprise, largely in-league with Gillette, so what is best for customer often takes a back-seat to what is best for the company. The number one goal of The Art of Shaving is to sell the company to Gillette. That being the case, they encourage the sales associates to push all of the Gillette branded products first. For instance, the Gillette Power Fusion is the worst possible razor for an African-American man to use. The blades are too close and there are too many of them, so they actually cause in-grown hairs to form. I was told on several occasions to always push the Power Fusion, not matter what the consequence to the customer. The more fancy Gillette razors, brushes and razor stands we sell, the more attractive we become to Gillette and the sooner they buy us. It's as simple as that. I'm sure this is what the owners pray for every night, because they have obviously grown to hate the company, seeing as they take no interest in it. By the way, a Gillette Power Fusion is $150 and I don't think there's a single piece of metal on it. It really is no better than what you could find at Target for $10, despite the smoke-and-mirror fancy packaging they put it in, and the fancy, meaningless words they use to describe it.

Develop an interest in your employees as well as your customers. It's the employees and the customers who make your company possible. Keep treating them like cash-cows and/or machines and you will soon find that your fledgling company is just a memory, a flash in the pan of a by-gone era.

Challenging

Current Employee - Master Barber/Regional Trainer
    Current Employee - Master Barber/Regional Trainer

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice professional atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Medical coverage is not that great.

Very by the books

There are newer employer reviews for The Art of Shaving

Worked for The Art of Shaving? Contribute to the Community!