There are newer employer reviews for The Asia Foundation

My colleagues were very friendly and helpful, but the salary was a bit low.

Former Contractor - Consultancy in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Former Contractor - Consultancy in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at The Asia Foundation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The working environment was great. The causes that The Asia Foundation works for are very crucial. SO I gained a lot of job satisfaction during my contract period. The management is efficient so I had no trouble with anything, it was over all a very good experience.

Cons

I worked for The Asia Foundation for an independent contract. I had to write a report on a tow-day long conference held at their Dhaka office. It was a great learning experience and the working environment was very good, but in my opinion the salary for the job was a bit low. My expectation was that they would pay me at least $10 per hour, but the pay was around $8.5 per hour.

To settle the payment issues in detail before beginning the work so the employer is well aware what to expect and have the opportunity to negotiate if s/he wishes to do so.

reviews filtered by

Experience varies depending on department

I have been working at The Asia Foundation

Pros

-Great work and mission
    -Friendly, smart, dedicated coworkers
    -Interesting events and opportunities come up often

Cons

-Travel assignments routinely delegated to the same people, though the skill sets required are not unique to them. This leaves some people travel-weary while others don't benefit from the professional development opportunity
    -Bad managers/directors reign unchecked (ego issues, micromanagement, rudeness, cattiness - M and F, no regard for junior staff development)
    -Stuffy environment

Some people are extremely stressed and overworked while others are desperate for more responsibilities and opportunities. Professional development doesn't just = promotion so learn to allocate work more efficiently/equitably to keep everyone happy.

2. Great growth experience for young professionals in other fields

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at The Asia Foundation

Pros

Very flexible work environment, exposure to a wide variety of stakeholders and issues, good remuneration (on par with consulting firms). Overall a good learning experience.

Cons

Desperate need for more staff, especially if the office is to achieve the broad coverage it aspires to achieve. Also, brand recognition could be better.

There's a good plan in place, but the staffing constraints could really derail everything... if I were to offer any "feedback" or "advice" it would be to try to get creative and/or aggressive in overcoming the staffing deficit.

There are newer employer reviews for The Asia Foundation