The Asia Foundation

www.asiafoundation.org
  www.asiafoundation.org
There are newer employer reviews for The Asia Foundation

Overall it's ok.

I have been working at The Asia Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic people work here. Everyone is nice and willing to help and it feels almost like a family.
The benefits here are excellent.

Cons

Salaries are low and when it comes to annual salary increases it sometimes feels like favoritism plays a role. Also, a new executive team has been in place since January 2011 and it seems to most employees that they are only focused only on promoting and/or recognizing senior management. In addition, there are a lot of senior people who have been there for more than ten years; this leaves more junior-level staff with nowhere to be promoted to. Finally, if you are in a role that is on the operations side vs the programmatic side (e.g. finance) there seems to be even less career opportunity and recognition for achievement.

focus a little more on more junior level staff as they do majority of the work and get less of the credit. also realize that if your employees don't trust that you have their best interests at heart they will not provide their best work, or they'll simply leave.

17 Other Employee Reviews for The Asia Foundation (View Most Recent)

Great work spirit, the concept of the work is generally good, but not enough details which creates working difficulties.

Former Employee - Program Associate in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)

I worked at The Asia Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability, well-recognized by other institutions, great networking, some travel opportunities, good time-keeping, no overtime work.

Cons

mostly female environment, salary average, not enough opportunity for personal growth

It would have been nice to have less hierarchy & more transparency in budget decisions for the programs.

My colleagues were very friendly and helpful, but the salary was a bit low.

Former Employee - Consultancy in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Consultancy in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at The Asia Foundation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The working environment was great. The causes that The Asia Foundation works for are very crucial. SO I gained a lot of job satisfaction during my contract period. The management is efficient so I had no trouble with anything, it was over all a very good experience.

Cons

I worked for The Asia Foundation for an independent contract. I had to write a report on a tow-day long conference held at their Dhaka office. It was a great learning experience and the working environment was very good, but in my opinion the salary for the job was a bit low. My expectation was that they would pay me at least $10 per hour, but the pay was around $8.5 per hour.

To settle the payment issues in detail before beginning the work so the employer is well aware what to expect and have the opportunity to negotiate if s/he wishes to do so.

There are newer employer reviews for The Asia Foundation