There are newer employer reviews for The Berry Company

Fun work but supporting a dying product.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Loved the work, loved the people.

Cons

Disconnect from Sales mangement and reality of the product.
Always 5 years behind.

Hire the right people and get out of the way. Lower expectations of dying products. Prices should not increase every year, prices should decrease as print products are devalued by perception of the public. It is not balanced, too many books. Cut to one to two books in major markets and make them relevant. Studies show digital is the leader, not print, although print is needed and has value it cannot demand the value in dollars that it once had. Like an aging sports star that wants to keep playing print costs has to lower as a player signs for the veteran players minimum.

reviews filtered by

Best company I've ever worked for, worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

One of the best companies I've ever worked at -- before being taken over by AT&T and then Local Insight Media. A good corporate citizen in the community, an all-expenses-paid employee picnic once a year, and a (relatively) high degree of job security.

Cons

The worst-run IT organization I've ever had the misfortune of being associated with. There were some excellent people (without them, nothing would have gotten done); but the departmental management team was pretty much useless. Favoritism was rampant, there was never any money for training, after-hours on-call support was mandatory; but salaries well below local IT average.
    The Local Insight Media team obviously intended to sell the company quickly, but the economy went south and they ended up having to try to run it -- which they just as obviously had no idea how to do.

IT is a strategic asset. Treat it as such.

lack of relationship building, and high turnover

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Federal Way, WA

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Training program, benefits, car allowance, travel expenses paid, incentive programs

Cons

Not understanding that print advertising was diminishing.

There are newer employer reviews for The Berry Company