There are newer employer reviews for The Broad Institute

Excellent place to work

I have been working at The Broad Institute

Pros

Working with top-level researchers, open collaborative environment, very exciting projects, many large-scale projects that not many academic/research entities can afford, high-profile publications, job stability, good benefits, 'just get the job done' attitude - working flexible hours or working from home is usually fine (there is a reasonable limit to everything though!). Academia-like environment without academic rivalry and backstabbing. Very competent and very approachable management.

Cons

Unclear career path for staff researchers, the organizational structure is quite flat. With many groups/labs/operational entities involved into large-scale projects, lack of proper communication can be felt sometimes that leaves projects falling through.

Better oversee communications between groups/platforms within and between projects

reviews filtered by
  1. This is a great place to work

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at The Broad Institute

Pros

You are doing great science and get the chance to work at one of the premiere research institutions in the world. There is no place like it.

Cons

Pay isn't great, as is the case in academics. Research can be frustrating and unless you have the patience and fortitude to go through with it, this isn't the place for you.

I think Broad is fantastic and has fantastic and understanding management. I think that maybe a gym membership could be included in benefits, so that it encourages scientists to keep fit.

Interesting, challenging work but could be better organizationally.

I have been working at The Broad Institute

Pros

The intellectual environment is great, very stimulating, regular talks where groups present original research. Facilities are excellent, lots of resources. Very informal, flexible environment.

Cons

Lack of clear career paths. Salaries are intentionally set below equivalent industry positions. Working in Kendall Square can either be great if you live close to public transportation, or a nightmare if you have to commute from the suburbs. Interaction between groups could be better. Work can be valued according to how much and where you publish papers, which can be a drawn out, convoluted and political process.

There are newer employer reviews for The Broad Institute