Great Opportunity In Retail if Hard-Working & Mobile

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

Steadily growing company that is turning profit in the retail industry, a rare feat considering the current economy. Remarkable business plan that prevents the company from closing stores or result in loss of profits, rarely taking unnecessary risks. Great sales and interpersonal skills training. Superb customer relations development. Networking ability preferred with opportunities to recruit (or be recruited) regularly presenting themselves. Career advancement opportunities are regularly presented. Incredible personal relationship opportunities. If youthful, co-worker relationships is outstanding. Store discount. Commitment program displays the concern with success of individuals and team instead of the ultimate dollar. Varying from area to area, upper level management regularly allows stores to exercise autonomy in the day-to-day operation of the store.

Cons

Most advancement requires personal mobility. Long retail hours, regularly put in 50+ hours in week. Commission based pay is not as competitive as presented, requiring an almost impossible effort in order to earn what one would at a competitor. Favoritism, like in any sort of people business, does come into play. Expectations of using all of the company's business builders can become burdensome. Youthful teams can often lead to emotional and passionate situations that can grow tiresome. Depending on area, communication with upper-level management can be sparse.

Advice to Management

Buckle is the greatest exporter of talent in the retail industry due to their methodical plan for growth and their refusal to pay talent competitive flat rates. Addressing these two issues would be seemingly ideal, though both are what help drive the success of the company: having only so many opportunities in the company inspires individuals to either commit themselves more to the experience that Buckle provides for its customer, weeds out those that doubt, leaving them with only the best of the best retail managers in the industry.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great starting point for retail sales

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

Great discount (40%) Relaxed environment, but always something to do You get to work with great people Good pay, especially compared to other retailers (base pay + 3% commission)

Cons

Sometimes long hours and random scheduling Some employees are very competitive and steal sales Not my favorite merchandise, I didn't want to wear the clothes sold there.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't get caught up in the cattiness and drama that sometimes goes on between employees. Stay professional and do not use favoritism.

2. My favorite job in the ten years I've been working.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wausau, WI

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

The most fun I've ever had working. I love the work, I love building outfits for people, and I love working with clothes all day. The people that work there are amazing and the dress code is great :)

Cons

Working on commission can be unstable income. It's great pay at times then pretty low at other times. Holiday and back to school are great but January through March are rough.