The Cambridge Institute of International Education

www.thecambridgeinstitute.org
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for The Cambridge Institute of International Education

Don't Believe the Positive Reviews - They are All Posted by the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

Poor pay, horrible benefits, no time off, management is inexperienced and inept, no clear vision for the company apart from making money, The middle management of this company all seem to have their jobs because they have been there the longest and have ingratiated themselves with senior management. To a person they have no experience in their field, and have no people management skills or experience. They do their best, but with no experience and no training how can they be competent? Management also trusts people they have worked with before, regardless of whether or not they know what they are doing. There are people in senior position who are considered infallible but do not know what they are doing. The company is in total chaos at all times. One initiative after another that begins and then ends without explanation or reason. High turnover both employee and company initiated. Two weeks of PTO (both vacation and sick time) is not acceptable. The health insurance is a joke. They do not invest in their employees or their infrastructure - everything is the cheapest it can possibly be. Think one printer for 80 employees, extremely sparse office supplies, etc. Office conditions can best be described as like a sweatshop - specifically cramming 140+ people in a space meant to hold 75.

Advice to Management

Giving advice to management is useless as they don't care and don't listen. As long as they are making money they are happy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Some Good Times but More Bad.

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time

Pros

The people are very intelligent and personable and I am proud and honored to have worked beside them. Two stars - Mostly for the people.

Cons

There are two sides to every post. Many of the more negative posts are definitely spot on however, so are SOME of the positive posts; it's all perspective. The company is definitely growing which explains the disorganization to some extent. A lot of the problems are due to managers/ upper executives not listening and/or communicating which I personally think is the bigger problem rather than the "growing company" excuse that was being thrown around left and right. The opportunities at Cambridge is there but there is no proper training which leaves the employees with a lot of questions that can only be answered by trial and error (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't). The problem with going with the flow with some of these projects is that you can be half way done with a project and realize upper management wanted something else; I am sure this happens in any company but with Cambridge it's definitely more common. I can only speak for Program Development. There are definitely some opportunities to travel, network (with school officials) and learn new skills (again, mostly self-taught) in the Program Development Team. I agree that there is room to grow, be heard and somewhat feel valued but it's a bit hard when there is very little support and understanding of what is going on. Yes, there's growth but it is very rare and just because you have a fancier name it does not always equate to more exposure to new skills or responsibilities which in my opinion is the definition of growth. Yes, you can be heard but being heard is different from having a manager listen to what you have to say and taking actions. And lastly, you are only valued if you make them money (sign a lot of schools). Regardless of what projects and how many projects you are managing, if you do not sign enough school, just forget about it. The low morale in the company is a result of the company's lack of effort in listening, communicating and supporting their employes, as well as employees constant negativity. The constant negativity among my current and former colleagues are understandable and very reasonable considering the amount of challenges the company pose on us. I agree with the previous poster in regards to who would be a great fit for the company and I honestly do think it takes someone who has a great attitude, enjoys challenges, entrepreneurial, adaptable and knows how to raise a concern/problem to upper management (true in ANY company). The job is definitely what you make of it (as it is anywhere) but at the same time it also has to do with the amount of support you are receiving from the managers and the uppers. It has to be a TWO way street (I CANNOT emphasize this enough). If there is little support from managers or upper then the project you are managing becomes more of a struggle to finish. And since the company lacks communication, a project can get shelved, reassigned and changed without the project leader's knowledge. In some ways it takes the right person and A LOT of luck to succeed in this company (and this might be true in other companies as well). When the company was smaller, everyone knew each other and we all hung out. As the company is growing, there are more cliques, which is normal in any big/growing company, that doesn't mean you can't hang out with that group or this group. Everyone is SUPER nice and I talk and hang out with almost everyone (I still do!). From my personal experience, although the job is BEYOND frustrating, I don't think it is the colleagues that are "expecting" everyone to be unhappy and negative. It really is just the job that is making and keeping the colleagues unhappy. The lack of resources, the informal "training", the empty promises and random threats here and there via email does not make any employee jump for joy regardless of how optimistic/intelligent and adaptable you are. It is definitely an interesting company to work for. You will learn a lot about what you want and don't want in a job.

Advice to Management

Listen, take actions, communicate.

A perfect job for strong individuals who are looking for a new and challenging experience.

Former Employee - Program Development Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Program Development Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Program Development Team is a great place for those: - who enjoy challenges - who enjoy innovation - who enjoy working independently - who are recent graduates looking for more experience - who are adaptable. The Program Development Team is not a place for those: - who have difficulty with change - who may not understand Chinese management styles or who are not flexible in management style - who do not enjoy sales. Working at Cambridge as a whole is an experience in and of itself. While I joined there when the company was still defining itself as a start up, I left when it began it's full transition to being a company. While benefits are not the best and there are many kinks that need to be fixed, the fact that upper management and middle management are making the effort to re-define themselves as a team and a company is comforting and exciting. As mentioned above, Cambridge is a place for very special individuals who can handle long hours, frustrating conversations, and rapid change; it is also a place for those who are willing to speak up, stand out, and be passionate about their work. For those who make the effort and care about their work, their growth through the company is supported and encouraged. Each department has a very specific culture - as a past employee of the Program Development Team, I know that our department is focused on sales of our consulting services as well as whatever new products come into the pipeline. However, this is not just a sales job where your pitch sounds like a car salesman. Instead, it is achieving the balance of providing consulting services, being up front, and laying the ground work of expectations so that when we move forward, our partners know exactly what they signed up for. We are also dedicated to working on other projects through our own initiative and for those individuals who like to innovate and create new ideas, improve upon old ones, etc, then middle/upper management will hear with open ears. What I learned from PD - selling an intangible service (i.e consulting services) - working with a different management style (Chinese to be specific) - working with a group of extremely passionate individuals - how to manage people - how to sell your own ideas within the company and follow through - how to interact with a variety of people (introverts vs. extroverts; business managers vs. teachers; those who enjoy their jobs vs. those who do not; etc) - writing business proposals - culture of the East Coast - Chinese business culture Overall, I enjoyed my job and recommend it strong people who are self-motivated and thrive in challenging environments.

Cons

- Low morale, although that is changing as newer employees who understand our mission are being hired.

Advice to Management

- Upper management needs to realize they are working in the US and provide their employees stronger benefits. They also need to give middle management more support. - Hire people who have realistic expectations of what Cambridge does and what it's goals and aims are.