There are newer employer reviews for The Campus Special

Worst job ever

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oshkosh, WI
Former Employee - Account Executive in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The trip to Chicago was really fun and I got to get drunk with people from all over the country.

Cons

Almost every business owner that has ever used campus special has hated it and has lost money investing in their products. The business owners will tell u they would never do it again and won't even give you a chance to talk with them. Ur manager will get mad at u if the you can't make a sale with the renewals. They will make you go back numerous times and make you talk to the owners until they hate you and will sometimes even yell at you and tell you to leave. Lastly, campus special never paid me for the sales I did make before I quit. I had to quit because they didn't pay me; it's hard to pay bills without an income.

Chau is the CEO and is making millions off of the students while they go broke. Chau also told me personally that no one will ever hire me. I would never recommend anyone to ever work for Campus Special.

277 Other Employee Reviews for The Campus Special (View Most Recent)

Just Don't Do it

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: Chau is amazing and will even text you on your first day, whenever you make a sale, and is extremely accessible. Inspirational man who is truly motivating and admirable.
    - Helps with confidence and approaching random strangers
    - Management IS always there for you
    - If you are in a great college town, where students are always driving to go out to eat, live mainly off campus, this could work for you. if not ......good luck
    - Great motivational prizes, bonuses, career partners.
    - I loved my team, we became friends in Chicago and still see each other all the time

Cons

1. First I'll start by saying the job description said 35-40 hours a week - fine! perfect! totally doable. However, you have conference calls after the work day ends and then spend hours logging your entire day into a database. Additionally you are encouraged to hit 5 places after 5PM, and be on your merry way at 8:45 Friday mornings. So tiring and emotionally draining and way more than 40 hours a week.
    2. The pay is crap. Especially with payment plans I had fellow interns making 16 dollars a month from some sales. And you're constantly chasing owners around and filling up your tank at LEAST once a week.
    3. Additionally, managers will tell you to lie with offers and deadlines being "today only" and that spots are first come first serve. Most business owners have done it in the past and do not really care at all to buy until the end of July when they see what competitors have bought. I also couldn't bring myself to lie about the promises of returns these owners would see and was sometimes disgusted with myself when I would walk out of businesses for the little bit that I did lie/over exaggerate
    4. I was told to go back to a place that had UNDER 5 COUPON REDEMPTIONS. Would anyone in their right mind feel comfortable going back somewhere and try to sell thousands of dollars in advertising to a company that CS failed them before? And managers always have a "perfect way" to go back; but really it is just embarrassing and a waste of interns time.
    5. Being in a renewal market sounds promising - until you realize that the prior interns have screwed you over by lying to business owners, selling to business owners that won't thrive from the product, or even just that business owners don't see any return.
    6. I honestly felt like managers were brainwashing me at some points in that their company was perfect and that I would not thrive in the future without this internship, and that my peers were just getting by waitressing and lounging by the pool; and it was me that would surpass them later in life due to this "experience" (when in reality I go to a very competitive school and all my friends have full time internships with companies such as the Big 4 companies, as well as many other impressive companies, and HAVE FUN with what they are doing!)
    7. Career Partners is dangled in front of your face like a carrot to a donkey. When I interviewed for this, I was told that once the internship was over that my resume would automatically be sent out to over 100 companies. However, on the LAST day of training we found out that there is a sales limit to hitting Career Partners. I also found out that they raised the quota by $5000 from last year and was extremely annoyed since the old quota still seemed high to me. Additionally, they include pictures of all of their career partners ever, even if some major companies aren't with them this current year.
    8. Constantly bashing the competitors, which they claim is a dying product however such competitors pays their interns $200/ week. Interesting.
    9. Managers call every 5 mins and turn every situation into something positive about campus special. Everything seems so scripted and phony and I truly wish I could have a real, down to earth convo with my manager because they are all friendly people....but it just seemed so fake.

Only take this position if you have an indestructible backbone and your parents to help support you through the summer.

More on-site training in college towns
    Have a draw system of $200 a week like Around Campus does.

Biggest waste of effort/time/mental stability

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ABSOLUTLEY nothing... I've read through these reviews and everyone says the CEO is okay and helpful but that is misleading. He is just as misleading and phony as his "managers".

Cons

Literally everything... You can't begin anywhere. The whole company is a huge joke. It's kinda funny. This company has a 4/5 rating.... I'm guessing there "managers" get on here once a week and flood it with made up bs reviews to maintain that 4/5 rating smh haha... Those reviews are so fake and generic it's not even funny. There is no sincerity at all

Stop ruining the lives of college students and tell them the truth about what to expect. My god you won't even give a base pay to these kids that are willing to work hard for you so at least be honest to them. THEY AT LEAST DESERVE THAT!

There are newer employer reviews for The Campus Special