There are newer employer reviews for The Canton Group

The opportunity of a lifetime.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Canton Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At The Canton Group, you make your own job. You want to change the world? Then go for it, you'll get the support you need. This is the place I needed in this point in my career- a place that values hard work, creativity, and technical skill.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons for working here. The only con I can come up with is that if you're not an Alpha Type personality, you're going to feel overrun at the Canton Group. Its a very free and open environment, which means you have to be on top of your game to survive. If you can't work in this atmosphere, if you need a lot of attention or guidance, it may not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep stretching the limit!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Poised for growth, great opportunity for those who do not need to be micromanaged

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Canton Group full-time

Pros

Extremely smart team of technical people who understand business. For developers who want to work for a company where they can provide input and help shape the direction of the company as well as the type of projects the company pursues then you will enjoy the environment they have created at the Canton Group. Great location in Canton, lots of people here who have been here 5 plus years. Far less turn over than the companies i have previously worked for. No micromanagement at all, but if you have initiative you will be appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

Could be some better communication of company goals to the entire staff. Feel like some of the different departments could communicate better with each other.

Advice to Management

Communicate company, goals initiatives and success. People want to know they are making a difference with their work. Work to provide employees with a better sense of engagement

2. I saw tons of potential on my first day, but very little actually came to fruition.

I have been working at The Canton Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location directly in Canton Square (although the office is terrible). The technical team is young, driven, and very talented. If you love tech you will make some great friends and learn a lot. Management will leave you alone for the most part as long as you are doing your job. Very good compensation. Due to the talented technical team, you feel like you are working for a company that has so much potential and can really make a name for itself. Unfortunately the daily behavior of the company and decisions that are made over and over again will restrict employees and the company from reaching its full potential.

Cons

There is zero leadership, direction, and communication. Nobody has any clue why this company even exists - no strategy at all. The company operates as an organization who is trying to be everything to everyone. We will take on any project or customer that will pay us money. This attitude might work when you are a start-up but we have been around for over 15 years and the leadership team is still trying to figure it out and it does not seem like they ever will. I'm not even a lead developer and i will tell you that the developers are way overworked and are asked to not only lead the technical side of the project but also to project manage. Most of the project managers do not really manage the projects and leave it up to technical folks to communicate with clients. I've been here for almost 4 years and the CEO has never communicated a company strategy or provided any feedback on how the company is performing. There is no communication, vision, or leadership.

Advice to Management

This is a small company that is only as good as its employees, period. Start talking to your employees and communicate with them. Sending an e-mail on your i-phone without any thought behind it is not how a CEO or executive is supposed to communicate. Figure out how to lead the business and share your vision of the company with employees to build morale. Make sure you have the right people in the right positions that will lead and hold people accountable. There is so much technical talent here that we can truly do something special. The problem starts and ends with management and structure - right now we have none.