Many different venues where none are excellent but where average seems to be the norm.

Current Employee - Server At the Farm  in  Park City, UT
Current Employee - Server At the Farm in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

Skiing passes and benefits once full time year round status is given.

Cons

I work in a restaurant, the Farm, where checks average $50 per person and from 5pm to 8pm the restaurant is a low of 80degrees and reaches the upper 80's most days with the sun in the guests eyes about 75% of the time. All the management sees this as a detrimental experience for our guests yet no corrective action has been taken. This is a direct example of how apathetic management are here. Guests sweating as they eat their dinner or decide they won't stay and leave and complain about the sun in their eyes and the high temp is an everyday occurrence, all this happens as a monumental amount of money is spent laying sod yet we can't spend one drop on a tint job on the glass. Somebody needs to take ownership of these issues that effect our guest negatively. It's a very defeating environment to work in and the shame is, it doesn't have to be.

Fix the air-conditioning and get the windows tinted and stop making excuses and/or passing the buck. Our mission is to be the BEST four seasons resort in North America. There are plenty of issues that exhibit themselves where management perhaps were not aware and can "manage" them accordingly but when there are glaring issues as our guests discomfort and nothing is done then we certainly aren't striving to be the best. Come on guys, we're better than this.

Other Reviews for The Canyons Resort

Not a great job if you want to ski alot

Current Employee - Ski Instructor  in  Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

Free ski pass, discounts on equipment and food, meet lots of people who also like to ski. Get familiar with the mountain.

Cons

Scheduling can be a pain. By the end of the season, they beg you to work almost every day. Teaching kids and beginners can be a pain but just know what you are in for.

Better scheduling system (like online). Make requirements more clear for end of season bonus. Online system would be very helpful. Better pay!

The Canyons Ski Resort, a place to get started

Current Employee - Ski School Instructor.  in  Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Ski School Instructor. in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

The canyons is a great place to get started in ski and snowboard instruction. It provides a good base platform to jump from into more specific forms of instruction. You learn how to teach kids/adults how to ski or snowboard and they have classes where you can progress in your instructing skills. Most ski resorts won't hire you unless you have your Level 1 PSIA or AASI. At the Canyons they are more then willing to not only take you but develop your skills and help you get your level 1. All in all this is a pretty good place to get started in the Ski/Snowboard instruction lifestyle.

Cons

The place is a logistics nightmare. They are WAAAAYYYY behind the times when it comes to using electronic organization. The check in system they have there is a crock. I don't know how they don't loose kids. There are two places for parents to check there kids in. One at the bottom and one at the top. They write the children's names down and other information then they send the kids up the gondola with a ski instructor. At the same time they are doing this at the top of the gondola with parents who brought there kids up. After all the kids are all checked in and into there lessons they bring the list from the bottom up tot the top and then try to condense the two list into one. There where so many mistakes on these sheets and we where lucky nothing happened because of it. If you are not teaching privets (which you have to put up with at least 5 years of craziness to even begin to build your client base or have enough seniority to get on a consistent basis) then you are not guaranteed work for the day. if there are enough kids then you will be able to teach, if not they let you go for the day. Sometimes that is a good thing because of the great skiing to be had at the resort. Other times its hard, because you really need the money. Upper management cant seem to keep control of there managers. Manager tension is almost always high and it is usually caused by one manager in particular. He/she tries to micro manage the ENTIRE ski school, when its their job to handle one section of the school. It got bad some times and tends to run good managers out of the company.

Time to upgrade. Put the money in now and it will make your life way easer. Upgrade check in systems, upgrade building, clean house a bit. There is so much potential at the school, and it could be so great with some work. Grow some balls and control your managers keep them in there own zones.

There are newer employer reviews for The Canyons Resort.

Worked for The Canyons Resort? Contribute to the Community!