The Charlotte Observer

Unclaimed Profile

When Great Goes Bad...

Former Employee - Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Charlotte Observer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to 'start out' if you are looking to get some sales or sales assistant work under your belt. I loved my job!

Cons

Everything was very well at first, pay was mediocre at best, but there was insurance, then the market changed...After that there were layoffs after layoffs, packages, freezes on 401k, hiring freezes, freezes on raises, crazy managers trying to micromanage every aspect of every single task. Currently there are freezes on raises again!!! Still micromanaging, too many managers/employee ratios, BAD, BAD morale. The feel of walking into the building itself everyday was like walking into a funeral home! Again, I loved my job and what I did, but the politics were enough to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Insurance offered is horrible! You pay premiums, just to pay your deductible that you can't afford! So much wasted space and opportunities there. The actually have gifts that they give their sales people for selling...If you can push forward and make a sell, why should they have to bribe or give you a gift for doing your job? Sales are given goals that are honest to God, unattainable! they are told to sell, sell, sell. Every time you make a sell, your goal rises. Management needs to get with others in the media industry and reset their way of thinking! Sometimes they were pushed to sell online and the inventory would not be there and they were penalized because they couldn't make their goals.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves! Your 40 yrs of on the job training is no good anymore! This is a changing industry, time to regroup, STOP pushing your best managers and employees out the door! Grasp this ever changing media world and learn from it! Get rid of Ann Caulkins!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Is one of the best employers to work for in the Charlotte Metro Area

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor ( Deliver Newspapers) in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Charlotte Observer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I delivered newspapers for this company. I enjoyed the privacy and being able to work out of my car. I am an introvert so this job was ideal. No background checks or drug checks. As long as you have a valid license and insurance you can work. Weekly paychecks on Wednesdays!

Cons

You are not reimbursed for gas/mileage. No days off. For working 2a-6a you get paid $187 per route. Maximum routes per day 2. Job is based on the reliability of your car which makes sense, so if you have a bucket don't bother. The wear and tear on your brakes will cause you to lose your job.

Advice to Management

Provide at least 50% gas reimbursement so that you don't have to take so much out of your paycheck. For one route equals $20 worth of gas, 7 days per week. If you only have one route you really are only making 60$ per week....smh.

2. Terrific customer service, rarely receive complaints and experience great relationships with customers.

Current Contractor - Carrier in Charlotte, NC
    Current Contractor - Carrier in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Charlotte Observer as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

manage own time and arrangements for delivering papers as effectively and efficiently as possible.

Cons

Doing it every day without a break unless paying substitute out of earnings. Days when papers are delivered late, puts additional pressure on getting to customers on a timely basis.

Advice to Management

Under the 'Distributor' relationship, there are no longer incentives for doing good job. I feel limited in using resources that I have been able to use in the past, i.e. carrier hotline to check information, etc.