Not the worst job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A generally upbeat environment. There is a camaraderie among associates, and my store manager is usually very positive. Typically understanding of flexibility needs.

Cons

There are a lot of politics going around management, and it's easy for the associates to get dragged into it. Corporate doesn't seem to be very understanding of what it's actually like to work in one of their stores, and often demands (on short or no notice) large changes in the store, that must be done in one night. On-Call shifts are a major pain. I hate not knowing if I have to work until an hour before. It makes plans impossible. The "Yes I Can" policy tramples over every other company policy. There are sometimes situations with customers when, according to "Yes I Can," I should do what they want me to do, even though it's been made perfectly clear that breaking X policy can result in termination. It leaves associates conflicted. Raises are a joke. After working there a full year and getting a good review ("exceeds expectations" in one category and "meets expectations" in all others), I got a raise of 22 cents.

Advice to Management

Give more notice and allow more payroll for PPP, window, and floorset changes.

Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place

As store manager you get beat up all way around with no Support from DMs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit Beach, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit Beach, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be the quality of the clothes

Cons

The people that run the stores work their Butt's off but are continually accused of being screwups. Goodluck ever hearing that you've done something right. As store manager employees hate you because your told to work them minimal hours with call shifts. Customers hate you because the rules are always changing for them. And DMs go to twofaced school to be uncaring unrealistic egomaniacs with a passion for power.Oh and whatever you do don't develop an illness they will spend forever not following the laws that are supposed to protect you and make your life a living hell until you quit.

Advice to Management

Realize that the little people running your stores are the ones making you rich. Invest in them. Invest in a 2012 replenishment system. Actually work a store for a week in real time you and one sales associate. Then report to us that all the insane tasks that are supposed to be done in a shift cant really be done.

2. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional pay and vacation plus sick time, considering the overall volume the store does each year. Flexible Schedule Learn a lot by rotating Divisions of Responsibility, you get experience managing sales, talent and visuals. Annual pay raises if you do your job correctly.

Cons

Payroll management is difficult. They tell you to hire a lot of people seasonally but current staff does not get any hours. Need more payroll for the amount of work that is asked of you... i.e. floor sets and weekends. Typically work with only 2 people in the store at a time. Sales associate left on the floor alone for majority of their shift. No designated shipment team makes it difficult to check in and process over 50 boxes of shipment everyday (M-F) since you also have to maintain visuals, assist customers on the floor, sign up credit cards, run the cash registers, run the fitting rooms and do all the housekeeping. Most of the time there is more stock in the back room than on the sales floor because there isn't enough time to get all the product out with minimal coverage.

Advice to Management

Don't pay store managers, assistant managers and co-managers so much and sales associates so little. You would be able to schedule more people which would increase productivity and positivity.