Horrible, unrealistic expectations, degrading management, makes horrible customers look like saints.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lakewood, CO
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers. Love to work with kids and help get gifts for those who don't have kids. Discount is nice, the quality of clothes is usually good.

Cons

The expectations placed on employees is horrible. It is completely unrealistic to have to "beat the box" in an insane amount of time while tending to customers. The focus should be on customers, not "how fast can I process this box so I don't get BS talked to me." Training is a joke. If you ask a question, management scoffs because they have to do their job and help you. If they trained you right in the first place it wouldn't be an issue. They refuse to help though. Specific management talks about associates behind their back. They also talk about customers behind their backs. It is ridiculous that a customer could ask a question, leaves, and the management goes "Give a discount over that? My gosh lady we aren't giving the item away!" for a damaged item. Management is signing people up without their permission to the rewards program. If they say no, management adds them under a fake name. Management is on associates butts about getting credit cards and if you don't meet that goal they get on you about "why not?" You are basically forced to harass customers about the rewards program and credit card. It's bull to be forced to keep asking the customer about the perks of the program or card and try to get them to sign up after they say no. But hey, why should they worry... they sign up for people without their permission! Breaks are given if there is time. You aren't allowed to keep your phone on you, it must stay in the locker even if you aren't using it on the floor. When you state problems with your family and how it may affect the job (concerning kids) you are scoffed at by management. The call in shifts are a joke. You can call in over and over and no one answers so you go about your day. Then you get yelled at because "We needed you and no one called in." I did, no one answered. They should have a better system so you don't have to get a last minute babysitter. Management is constantly on the radio talking about conversion, if it drops an hour they want to know why. If you say "Some groups came in with only one person buying" they say "It should still be better than this, make sure you are getting all people to buy." If you are handing out the blue bags and someone declines, you may hear on the radio "Why aren't you talking to that person? Give them a blue bag" if you explain that they didn't want one, they act as if you are lying. It is expected of you to greet every customer. Even if you are talking to a customer or they are talking to you, they expect you to interrupt and give the sales spiel to the customer. Which interrupts the other, and is rude. It is very rude to be talking to a customer and helping them and hear in the radio "Did you greet that customer? Tell them about the sales? You need to talk to every customer" and go on and on so not only can you not hear the customer you were talking to because you are being yelled at on radio, you are taking even MORE time away from the other person because the customer you were talking to has to repeat themselves. Customer service should be number one, and that means greeting customers but not at the expense of interrupting another. Customer service also means helping customers and not getting yelled at in the process. If an elderly person needs help carrying things and wants ideas, help them! Not have someone say in your radio that your time is better spent doing something else and to finish processing boxes. I could go on, but the bottom line is... management especially needs a personality check. Treat your customers and associates better and they will stay loyal as customers and associates. Treat them like crap, they will leave.

Treat your associates better. Be understanding. Train them properly. If they ask questions, help them, not degrade them. The pay is horrible for what is expected of you.

Other Reviews for The Children's Place

The Worst, Horrible, Stressful Working Environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, NM

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working around cute clothes is kinda fun

Cons

Managers treat the sales associates like crap, I think its a trend in this company because I have never been treated like this and many of you also have said the same thing.
    When there is a new floor set it takes FOREVER to complete it and makes the managers all stressed, so annoying.

Stop being unappreciative, the sales associates are the ones doing everything you want so stop making us all want to quit.

FUN

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice co-workers and managers. Customers are usually always friendly. Pay was decent. Very easy work.

Cons

Children destroying the store. Parents allowing their kids to run around and destroy things. Register was not the easiest to use.

Management was great.

There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!