The Children's Place

www.childrensplace.com
  www.childrensplace.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place

Decent company, has better things to come i hope!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always something changing or going on, company has good intentions

Cons

assitant managers do not get many benefits even though they work as much as store managers. They dont get bonuses

dont forget the little people!! we keep the business going too, not just the SSM who already makes bank!

556 Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place (View Most Recent)

Great Brand headed the wrong direction...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great Brand, value and clothing selection for children

Cons

unrealistic workload for all employees with no support from upper management and HQ. i have seen district managers go to bat for their store managers and pushed out the door for doing so. the company is consistently piling the work load on the stores (from over allocation of product, ever changing floor sets that were never funded any payroll. and consistently cutting payroll leaving a maximum of 2 people on the sales floor during peak shopping hours and days (that is of course if you didn't have one of those two working in the back on the everyday delivery of over allocated stock to put into an overflowed stock room. turnover for store managers in my former location has been 4 store managers in less than 2 years!!. training??? there is no longer training hours allocated for either management or sales associates. After hiring a new assistant manager her first week was spent on the register as it was just she and i on the sales floor. also you have lost MOM, she no longer WANTS or NEEDS to shop at TCP, your stores have become a nightmare to shop due to lack of help due to cutting of payroll and your are slowly, correction speeding your reputation in to a brick wall. if something isn't done soon by either Jane Elfers herself or the board of directors stepping in to protect their investments, this company will spiral out of control faster that it is already on pace for.

get back to basics

Downhill No Breaks!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everything that was once good is now non existent!

Cons

In 2007-2008 new management came in and everything good was gone.

Clothes were crappy, more expensive, and they never sent enough of the basics. Every year in August right before school started we would get yelled at by many customers because we never had enough uniforms and the stores were already putting out late fall and holiday collections when parents were in desperate need of back to school clothes.

Pay roll was cut so severally in most cases that all visual changes and windows had to be done during business hours.

Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete. Everything was dramatic and designed for impact. Which doesn't work!

Upper Management instituted the "Yes I Can" policy which was their way of saying we don't want to deal with customer complaints so literally give the customer anything they want! With that policy the so called "customers" and I use that term loosely, because true customers would not take advantage like some of these people and thieves did. Customers could come in with items that had been washed and worn from 6 months prior and get a full refund if they threw a big enough fit. Parents would return hundreds of dollars of merchandise that the purchased for "kids modeling" all of it would have no tickets attached because as they would claim " the photographer wanted to see them in each out fit before deciding on the one to go with" and we would have to take it back and of course we would get yelled at because we didn't make our numbers. Well how the hell are you supposed to make up $500 on a Tuesday night in January?! Thieves also could get away with walking out of the store with thousands of dollars of merchandise because there were never enough employees monitoring the floor. One thief in particular was known to have stolen over 2,000 dollars worth of merchandise and then return it for merchandise credits in a 2 month time period. She was also well known for cussing out and threatening employees. Her "crew" even found their way into the backroom looking for a particular employee who had called her out on her BS and refused to do any more of her returns. It took a $2,000+ loss for the company to finally ban her from doing returns. Still didn't help because she would just send her friends in to do them.

The stores are now very cluttered with lots of extra crap, like jewelry and make up which ends up broken, tangled or smeared all over the store. The extra fixtures for this stuff takes up a lot of much needed space. It is very difficult to walk through a lot of stores and if you have a stroller, forget it.

Also there is never enough product for boys. 75% of the store is girls, and what the boys do have is horrible. While there are more girls clothes a lot of it seems very inappropriate for girls ages 4-11. Also upper management does not want to send clothes to the outlets any longer so things will stay in the store far past its time and it still does not go very low. The DM would not allow any sale in the back room so the store was crammed packed with old crap that no one wanted and the new stuff sometimes couldn't even make it to the floor because there was no room for it.

On a personal note, I was treated very poorly by the DM. I had been with the company for 5 years before moving on the other managerial roles with other companies. I came back to TCP to work part time so I could finish my bachelors degree. The SM at the time had known me previously and wanted me to work as an Assistant Manager and told me that I could work 4 days a week so I could still go to class 2 mornings. This arrangement worked very well for a couple of years. The DM approved the arrangement in the beginning and it worked well because it allowed the Lead to pick up an extra shift every week, which she really wanted to do. Well then after a DM change (because the first one couldn't take it anymore) I was told by the new DM that I could no longer be an Assistant because I did not have open availability. MW were the only days that I could not work and even still if I was needed from 5-cl, I would come in. She left me with two options, take a demotion and become a lead making $3 less but doing the same work or leave. Never once had their been an issue with my work. I had never had a write up, I had good performance evaluations but all of the sudden I am being forced out because there were two mornings/afternoons I was not available. I was told it was because managers had to able to come in at a drop of a hat and stay into the wee hours of the morning if there was last minute change or sale. I should have left after that but being so close to my degree, I felt that it would be harder to find another job and plus I had a family to help support. From that point on I was treated horribly by the DM.

I could go on and on but I would be at my computer for the next 2 days writing about how horrible this company is to work for.

Treat your employees better. Quit spending money on marketing that is never used or used for a week and then thrown away. Use that money to allow more payroll, so projects can be done in a timely manner, customers can actually be helped and loss prevention goes down. Finally get rid of the "Yes I Can" policy. A loyal customer is not going to not shop at your store because you tell them no. Loyal customers are reasonable and polite. A loyal customer is not someone who is going to buy $500 worth of merchandise and then return it the next day just because "they don't want it any more" Why would you want someone like that? I personally would have rather they didn't spend the money in the first place so I could spend my valuable time working with a customer who is going to be happy with their purchase.

There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place