The Children's Place

www.childrensplace.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place

Company is all over the place...Still.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

--decent clothes and awesome prices!
-PTO and sick time, that's pretty much it. I've seen better benefits elsewhere.

Cons

-Highest Shrink I've ever seen within any company. How does 1 single store lose $70K in just one year? It's laughable.

-Having a visit from Upper management? sure, here's 30 extra hours to make your store look great: "give them exaggeration and not reality"

-Floor-set guides are sent out in advance only to be completely changed at the last minute and due to be completed in 24 hours. Can you guess?- zero hours are given to undo what took you a week to complete ( because you ONLY have during business hours to get this done.) Oh yeah and We want you to snap pictures of it with our cheap camera and submit to us by the end of the day.

-Training guides are all over the place, some are old some are brand new but, there is no structure to it. How do I train my team when you don't clearly tell me what it is that they need to know? This makes HUGE inconsistencies amongst store teams.

-This place is so caught up in paying the investors that they don't realize that our merchandise is literally walking out of the door because we can't keep up. It's not a matter of our associates having proper training... we can't keep up! having 2 people on the sales floor on a Back to school Saturday is just ridiculous, but sorry customer we can't bring another associate out to ring you up because there are only two of us, yes you can speak to the store manager because it is Me, but if you can give me just a moment or two since i'm declining this customer's return (and I don't know why she's declined by the way) and yelling "HI, WELCOME TO THE CHILDREN"S PLACE!" to every customer that walks in while I'm handing out blue mesh bags to any person that walks by. Go figure.

- Your associates aren't complaining about hourly wages, they want MORE HOURS to earn more money!

-You know when you have regional Conference calls to teach us Store Mangers how to be better managers? guess what, your on speaker and we are: writing a schedule or processing damages or auditing paperwork or processing shipment. See what happens when you don't give us payroll?

-The Experience? I challenge you The Children's Place: out of the 1,111 stores, tell me who actually uses it? I know I don't, so it must be 1,110, sorry, I don't have time because I'm trying to help my associate process 25 boxes of shipment before the 21 boxes arrive tomorrow.

-On top of everything else why do I have to monitor our Plastic Bag supply? There have been countless times that we have run out because we can only order 4 boxes at a time. (and that's if and only if we sacrifice buying toilet paper or printer ink in any given month...) Hello, my name is replenish based upon sales volume.

HQ: plan a surprise visits to stores. Don't get upset with what you find, It's our reality.

633 Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place (View Most Recent)

Stop the Insanity!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great benefits & PTO/ sick time for Management

Cons

Horrible upper management... company is headed in the WRONG direction! Payroll and shrink are connected---WAKE UP!! I worked for this company for 6 years and have worked for several other retailers. The final straw was at Holiday when we had to leave the store un-recovered at night with piles of clothes left unfolded and the store a total wreck to save payroll. Not to mention all of the un-processed freight in the back because we didn't have the coverage/time to get it to the floor. We could make more sales if we had the product on the floor but the company is too short-sighted to realize that. Managers are stressed out of their minds because of completely unrealistic deadlines. No extra payroll to do ANYTHING! Floorsets are all done while the store is open and training is on the job. The company used to be a decent place to work. The last 3 years have been really bad. Decisions coming down from Corporate are not well thought out which results in a lot of double work because they have the whole chain implement something and then 2 weeks later they change their mind. Very frustrating place to work. I currently work in another fast-paced retail environment but I can support the decisions being handed down because they make sense. I don't mind working hard... but I don't like working and re-doing things on a whim with no payroll to support it... especially since I was salary which means that double work is taking time away from my family. The company needs to find a direction and keep heading that way... they are all over the place.

The payroll model is horrible... and the workload is ridiculous not to mention that double work is constantly being done because Upper management can't make up their minds!

benefits working at the Children's Place

Former Employee - Senior Visual Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, good work hours, flexible

Cons

depending on the department, growth can be limited

be more open minded and less micromanage the entire department. An employee that is treated badly will not give good results back. An employee that is treated fairly and with respect will give good results and the same back.

There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place