The Children's Place

www.childrensplace.com
  www.childrensplace.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place

keep away

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did have a great team, other than that can't think of anything positive to say.
some customers are nice.

Cons

there are many where should I start,
1. demanding work load, unreal numbers of boxes arrives every day, price changes at any time in the week. rearrange products with short notice. DSM demands reports on everything

2.no reasonable hours given to perform given task

3.each store will have their own sets of policy depends on how much your DSM love you
4.too many coupons customer will not buy regular price e-mail is being sent out too many time a day
5.if a customer have a tantrum over a dress that was purchase last year, they sure get their money back,all it take is call to call your DSM. it make us at store level look so pathetic

I believed there are many devoted workers in this company. it is so unfortunate the upper management only see the people who likes to talk the talk. treat your people with respect
then your company will not have such high turn over in staffs

579 Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place (View Most Recent)

Upper management needs overhaul

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great prices for children's clothing
    -depending on your team, you could have an amazing in store experience (my team is AMAZING, including my DSM)
    -Great room for growth

I absolutely love some of my customers, who because of our small store size, are on a first name basis. Because we are in a high income area, many of the customers who come in don't care for promotions or email discounts, and just care for the experience of being in our store.

There are some customers, however that refuse to shop unless there is some kind of additional discount involved and will make a huge fuss and threaten to call customer care if you do not honor a discount they are not even entitled to get.

As well, my SSM Lead and myself are all in sync with one another. We recognize staff on a daily basis and make sure that they are aware of sales goals, incentive rewards (even though they don't get anything and this is truly unfair) and are even friends outside of work. They are really happy and tell us all the time that they would have left long ago had it not been for store management's care and support.

Cons

-customers often get better discounts than employees
    -incredibly large workload with crumbs for payroll
    -way too much favoritism going on (DSM favors a certain SSM)
    - not very fashion forward
    -NO ONE from upper management has your back
    -too much politicking
    -the return policy is a joke, why instill the 45 days policy and then allow the customer to get a FULL refund on items THEY damaged/washed or simply didn't want anymore after the 45 days?

Where do I start!?
    Customers getting better discounts than employees: this is absolutely ridiculous. I understand that customers are the reason the company rakes in millions every year, but if you only offer your employees 30% off yet you offer the customer the same discount on merchandise ON TOP OF whatever the current promotion is on select items, then your staff will start to ask questions. The reason why they offer clothing at such a discounted price (and some items are of deplorable quality) is so that they can actually make money. By heavily discounting items and sacrificing payroll and offering little to no incentives, this company is able to pay Jane millions per year so that she can get caviar facials and french manicures in France. There is such a high turnover rate because of this. Gap employees enjoy 50% regular priced merchandise, happy as hell and are not belittled by cheap customers!

Incredibly large workload with crumbs for payroll: Something has to get done here. I'm sorry Mrs customer, I can't accept your return because you washed that sherpa hoodie, oh could you hold on a second? We just received 15 boxes that I have to sign for, but then you'll have to wait since there are only two of us working at a time all day long and--heyyyy, welcome to the Children's Place, can I offer you a mesh bag? Just so you know, microfleece is two for $30 right now--I'm sorry mrs customer but you can't use that 30% off coupon, it expired three months ago, but can you just give me 5 minutes because the phone is ringing and a customer needs to know if we have a pair of 0.99 summer shorts that we transferred out to an outlet store in August. I think you get the picture here. Two on two coverage does not work. And you expect us to deal with entitled women who fight you for a $3.00 discount while waving an AMEX or Black Card to pay for a $15 shirt? Oh and the district conference call? Sorry I can't really pay attention because I'm too busy checking PVR reports, auditing paperwork, doing damages (but not in excess of $100 a month!), begging for the doors to get fixed through the Service Channel, doing the schedule, and "adjusting it for a peak day".

Favoritism: As much as I love my DSM, she plays favorites with a particular store manager in our district. She constantly takes her out to visit other stores with her, while they laugh and gossip about what looks great and "what needs work" in stores.

Not very fashion forward: Come on, who wears glittery pink skirts with the matching graphic tee, hairband AND purse past 8 years old? Check out your competition. Carter's, Osh Kosh Kids, GapKids (This is BIGGGG one). They have colors like green, blue, white, purple, ORANGE and real colors girls want. You wonder why we sell out of black rosette skirts in sizes 8-14 but why we have a sickening amount of glittery flowery hot pink skirts in the same size? Because no one wears that crap past 6 years old.

My biggest beef with the company is it's return policy/customer care. They baby the YOU KNOW WHAT out of customers. Oh you bought a pair of 1.99 sneakers, had your son wear them ALL summer and bring them back without the receipt and claim that they don't fit your son? Oh you want to speak to the manager? I am the manager, sorry lady but those shoes have holes, they smell and there's no way he wore them "once". That's okay, get a cash refund without your receipt for the original price if you make a big enough fuss. The policy CLEARLY states in English, French and Spanish, that you cannot return any worn or washed merchandise. But nope, call customer care and Kevin Low gets wind of it, your DSM tells you to just accept the return and do whatever the customer wants so that she doesn't get in trouble. Return the shoes, shut up and keep being a puppet. Oh, and return the shoes and also get a "talking to" because you went against policy. Why have a return policy you're not going to abide by?

Stick to your policies. Don't be afraid to stand your ground and customers will realize that they cannot walk all over you. If you don't support your employees, you will lose them. We've gone through 3 SSM's, 3 ASM's, 2 leads and 5 associates in little over a year. What does that tell you?

And MAKE UP YOUR MIND...how are we supposed to do PPP's you send "effective immediately" last minute to "drive sales volume"? Get a grip...hopefully onto a better color palette because you're losing all of your customers to too much pink and WAY too much glitter on your clothes.

Think Friday the 13th was scary? Visit the stores unannounced and see our reality. Jason V would turn around running and screaming like a little girl.

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, at least for store managers
    Pto's - 22 days paid PTO

Cons

Floor sets/changes weekly
    Signage/pricing changes numerous times per week
    Overload of shipment, with no extra hours and support
    Poor communication, expectations set from upper management and not communicated until a visit
    If you want to be promoted, expect to be their b****
    Good luck having a social life, expect long hours cause of the lack of payroll

Good luck in the future, you will need it with more competition coming and your poor planning

There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place