The Children's Place

www.childrensplace.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place

Strong back ... Wean mind!!

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Constantly hiring so no problem finding an opening

Cons

Huge workload with no payroll to get it done.
Lots of paperwork and reports but no time to do as there are only 2 people in the store at a time.
If you are looking for a first time management job to move your resume to the next level give it a try ... but as soon as you take the offer start looking for a real company to work for!

The business model is sustainable ... what about your people model, do you even care?

614 Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place (View Most Recent)

Management

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Fun working environment. Great peers. It's a good part time job for stay at home mom or college student.

Cons

Not enough payroll and upper management have refuse to listen to store management about obstacles in the store. There is no work-life balance.

Be more involved with the day-to-day operation and recognize the stores are suffering. Stop having corporate visit that requires overspending payroll by give corporate false vision on stores. Upper management telling store management about getting nannies or placing kids in facilities so that store manager can work 60-70 hours work weeks. Not professional at all.

DO not bother if you are a parent of special needs child or active duty military spouse

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This was a fast paced environment, so the day went by quick. It was an easy job and easy to get along with co-workers and customers.

Cons

You never get a break. Sundays the open crew starts at 11 and work sometimes until 8, even though the store closes at 6. You do NOT get a break even if you work the entire day. If you are a spouse of an active duty service member or parent of a special needs child that has regular doctor appointments, much less both like myself, you will be berated for having to adapt your schedule to theirs even though the manager knows the facts upon hiring you. If a manager happens to allow someone that is on call work when they are not called in, you pay for it. You lose hours whenever the management staff cannot regulate their payroll hours. Training is HORRIBLE!!! I was not properly trained. On my hiring date, I was thrown into the deep end with shipment and expected to perform perfectly. On my first official day on the job, the assistant manager failed to show me the proper way to dress a mannequin even when I asked how I was supposed to do it. I have been an employee for nearly 3 months and still do not know all the appropriate folds for the clothing because my managers do not know them all. And apparently it is ok to bring your young child to the store and allow them to run rapid while you work or to even talk crap about a customer in front of other customers while that customer is still in the store. All of the things described above are the description of the management staff at my store. When interviewed, I gave my manager the heads up on my availability. I am a wife of an active duty member of the Coast Guard as well as a parent of a special needs child. So as you can tell, my schedule is not exactly the best to work with. Upon discussing and receiving the approval from the general manager, I accepted the job under the understanding that my schedule could, and would be, flexible according to the needs of my husband's job and son's doctor and therapist appointments. It was brought to my attention a few days ago, that I am taking too much time off for "personal" reasons. I had the previous week off due to my parents being in town, and it was approved through management. Other than taking time off for my child's appointments and such, that was the only time I have taken off in the past 3 months. When questioned why I was only available during a certain time for a week and given the reason, being my husband's schedule, I was told that they were searching for my replacement and that such amount of time taken, was not tolerated for a "new" hire and should place my child in day care or find a babysitter that was available 24/7 to cater to my work needs. So despite informing the management about whatever your schedule is and if it is okay according to the understanding, you can still lose your job. I am currently attempting to wait it out to see if I will indeed be fired. In which case I do plan to file a wrongful termination suit against the company since the manager hired me knowing my schedule and my husband being active duty and son special needs.

Grow a pair and do NOT hire someone just to attempt to fire them due to their schedule. It is low and cruel. Consider all the angels before judging them for it. Learn to give scheduled breaks according to state and federal laws.

There are newer employer reviews for The Children's Place