There are newer employer reviews for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Coffee bean has better tasting products than Starbucks but Starbucks value their employees.

Former Employee - Brista in Beverly Hills, CA
Former Employee - Brista in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome discount on products. Free drinks when you are working. You can experiment with drinks during downtime and closers get to take pastries home

Cons

High turnover due to lack of promotions. Healthcare benefits are solely for fulltime employees. Short lunch breaks and lack of pay raise

Hire a management team that does not micromanage. Allow employees to partake in things that allows them to grow and develop within the company. Have more company events to allow employees to learn and understand the culture of Coffee Bean

120 Other Employee Reviews for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (View Most Recent)

Stressful

Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time (more than an year)

Pros

free coffee, flexible schedule, great coworkers, discount, advancement

Cons

Over worked and under paid

More growth and stop using outdated software, equipment and training tools

More Pros than Cons

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for about five years. Overall, I would say that this is a good company to work for. This is not my dream job, but its the best I can find since I've been out of college. The pay is decent for Supervisors and I generally enjoy my work, my co-workers, and some of the regular customers.
    Despite the lagging economy, the locations in Summerlin area and casino stores have robust sales. This is good news for the store's budget, getting new equipment, enough hours for employees, and of course, decent tips. I like that this company still has a "Mom & Pop" feel to it. I am on a first name basis with the Director and Chief Operations Officer. And I feel comfortable voicing my concerns and making suggestions for improvement to both of them. They frequently make visits to all of the stores to check up on them and for the most part, make helpful changes and suggestions in terms of store appearance, sales focus and overall company mission. Most stores have a strong sense of teamwork and ownership among the crew.

Cons

As with most companies, there's a push for constant innovation, new products and new services in order to boost growth and profits. Dealing with change can be stressful on the employees, especially when the company decides to discontinue a product or change a process that was working well. Also, the changes aren't always implemented smoothly in the beginning, so not all of the stores are on the same page.
    As far as store management, I've seen my share of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The Managers are stressed out and don't always have the best people management skills.
    Because the store's team is so small, it only takes one bad apple to ruin it for everyone else. For some reason, its almost impossible to terminate a bad employee within this company. Absenteeism, incompetence, and laziness are not reason enough (I've seen this with other companies as well). Usually the problem employee ends up self-terminating by no-call/ no-show. But this could take months or even years, and its a major drain on the rest of the "good" employees.
    The nature of the work can be very stressful at times (rude customers & very fast-paced, high volume, noisy environment). This is not the right job for everyone- you have to put on a smile and be able to handle stress. This is also a very physically demanding job at the busier stores- always moving on your feet.

Management should be firm and enact a formal progressive disciplinary process on problem employees, instead of turning a blind eye and hoping that the problem will work itself out.
    Also, this company is involved with numerous charities and we are constantly having to hit up our regulars for donations. As soon as they donate to one cause, we ask them to donate to another, and then another, with no breaks in between each charity campaign. I'm all for helping out charities, but we could be less aggressive about it.
    And last but not least, give regular raises to employees who have been with the company for years. A seasoned employee is much more skilled and valuable to the company than a new hire. Its the long term employees that retain our customer base and give each store its unique neighborhood vibe. I've seen several good employees go years without a raise, and they get disgruntled and will eventually leave.

There are newer employer reviews for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf