Fast paced, Hands on Work Environment

Former Employee - Lead Barista  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Lead Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday was different because you interact with new and different customers. Some are rude, yes, but some are extraordinatly impressionable and kind. Don't take it personally, it is a part of customer service. The coworkers made it fun, during slow times we would share ideas on making drinks better and faster. When the team communicates well the line moves quickly.

Cons

The Shift Supervisors sometimes would hang out in the back and make the newer baristas work the floor. Wish they would instead lead by example. Hard to get raises. I was young and for a first job it was ok, though.

I appreciated that the district manager came by once in awhile to make sure we were all good. It made me feel like he cared and would personally ask me if there were things we should improve on. They were strict on the uniform but recently the dress code has transformed to more lenient/casual.

Other Reviews for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Worst coffee company I've ever worked at

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great drinks, coworkers save your sanity, other managers feel empathy towards you because they are going through the same stressful situations that you are.

Cons

Came in thinking that the Company would be a more family-like, personalized, people-focused experience after working for a larger, faceless competitor..boy, was I wrong. I worked at the "headquarters" store so all the people from headquarters came in every day and I dealt with a very cliquey, high-school like group that came in every morning in a big "herd" that found every little thing in my, or my team's performance, offsetting.
    I was put on their equivalent of an "Action Plan" because some random headquarters employees didn't like my bubbly chatty nature (I guess we were supposed to be quiet, hushed, respectful and somber towards them first thing in the morning, who knew?), but that bubbly effervescent nature had been the very thing that had helped my old stores in different companies be successful, so being told I was "too chatty" didn't make one iota of sense.
    I would also like to stress, that I never talked about anything inappropriate, so why these employees thought that, was very ludicrous: It was like I was heavily disliked for doing nothing wrong at all.
    During the time I was under the Action Plan, I was scrutinized daily for my "behavior" and how I "carried myself" when other Company employees when they came in for their morning coffee, and my boss would write weekly updates to denote my behavioral "progress".
    I have worked well over 20 years in sales and customer service, have held countless "management" jobs very successfully, and have helped build countless units from the ground up for companies~my love of my work, my teams, and the customers had always made every store I've run hugely profitable with great flow-through.
    I have never felt so humiliated in my life by a Company and I really wish I would've saved a better paper trail of all the things that had been written about me that were false by my boss; if I had, I would've talked to a lawyer regarding how I had been treated to see if I had any rights after quitting for compensation.
    After I left, I went through a period of rather severe depression resulting, I honestly believe, from my daily scrutiny and monitoring.
    I cannot, in all honesty, recommend "The Bean" to anyone after what I was put through as a manager.

The very things you stand for, you obviously are actively against. Mistreating your employees will get you nowhere.

Great brand, could be so much more

Current Employee - Company Ops  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Company Ops in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic products, great history, die hard customers. Lots of passionate people who give their best. CEO is a good guy. Quirky culture, oddballs welcomed.

Cons

Not enough stores, existing locations need a remodel, family owned business not always run like a "real" company. Leadership team lacks alignment. Lots of change in functional leaders the past few years.

It's time to sell up and allow someone with enough resources to do what needs to be done to get the most out of a wonderful brand.

There are newer employer reviews for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

Worked for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf? Contribute to the Community!