The Cosmopolitan

www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com
  www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Cosmopolitan

Great Ideas - Poor Execution, They need better people to execute and not get rid of the ones who are willing to.

Former Employee - Management in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Management in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Brand is great. Property is great. Even Staff is great.

Cons

Cons are very subjective and often times smaller picture... it's generally always the last taste that was left in their mouth prior leaving.

Please refer to advice to management to get an understanding where I'm coming from.

Superiors need to assist in execution to their assistants/Supervisors. They need to show that they are the HARDEST working person within their dept/venue otherwise there is no point in working for them. In addition to "looking" like the hardest worker, they need to know how to do EVERYTHING from FOH stuff to administrative (which I know for a fact they do not). They need to motivate and persuade their entry level managers to see what they see and mentor through. Upper managers need to understand how entry level managers think/function and adapt to their way of thinking and mentor out the bad habits. IT IS NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. These entry-mid level managers only know what they are taught. The good entry-mid managers will understand and re-mold their way of thinking. That's how effective Managers work (Entry Level all the way up the ladder). It's a simple formula, but never followed.

They need to realize that the managers they spent time and effort to hire and train (BARELY) are extremely capable (based on their past experience) and willing to run the operations if given the correct support. When it is clearly turning into a favorites game or an exclusive gender club, it puts everyone else not in that "club" at a huge disadvantage.

As a former entry-mid level manager, I can understand we can be inconsistent from time to time, BUT not all the time. IE: every day a change in operation or change in schedules for line level staff and you dont even contact them about the change saying it is their responsibility for them to check online when you dont even stay up on posting them online? All of that can easily be corrected.

Directors need to be a little more hands on and enforce, unless they are part of the club which I really hope not considering the negative impact it has put in this department. Empowerment and support (even if they dont quite agree but still correct) is what these entry-mid level managers need to work!

Then it will trickle down to the line level staff. Otherwise, they will be hiring and firing/replacing for those who quit the same positions every 4-6 months which is extremely not fair for the line level staff who has seen all the turnover from Upper down to entry level managers.... and you wonder why your line level staff is the way they are? Over the months, I even noticed the change in staffing. A lot of the good ones are leaving or gone... the ones who have been there since opening. What does that say about the upper managers?

I was hired because of my previous skills and how I get along with the staff... Essentially, I was playing clean up for my superiors so they still look good. I can run this operation with my eyes closed because I have the support of the staff. I never talked back to you guys always listen to your direction and follow thru no matter how ridiculous it was, perhaps that was why...lol. It is when you notice that they support me more than you guys was when you decided to flip the switch on me. I am no longer mad at that, Red Tape is Red Tape. You even said that I was a very well liked person and can do the job well during my exit interview (termination session).

They work for you, but not with you. That is direct result of poor management skills. People follow good managers. It is clear to me based on how long upper managers have been there in comparison to the amount of turnover that has occurred during is a direct correlation to how ineffective of a manager(s) you really are. I wish you and the venue nothing but the best because there are some (what's left) good workers in there that deserve good direction, and the property itself deserves it too.

42 Other Employee Reviews for The Cosmopolitan (View Most Recent)

Overworked, underpaid, rude co-workers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job in it of it self I liked, even though my work load was unrealistic, the people I met and the purpose of the position is something I value in my own life.

Cons

1-Working only PT, in fairness my hours were increased gradually, but never really allowed me to catch given that I was assigned a pretty large project days after beginning, while still in "training". This project required intimate knowledge of the ins and outs of the position and company, and having only been working a couple of weeks and 25 hours a week (10 doing training) only backed up the work load, that was already behind before I got there, even more.
    Being put down and made to feel inadequate for not being able to keep up with the demands.
    Im not sure how any professional could assume that filling a position with a PT employee and requiring them to complete the same amount of work as the previous FT employee ( who often came in on weekends and took work home with them) would work out?

2- Co-worker, who I worked in the same office with but not in the same department, was very hot and cold, sometimes nice, many times rude, over bearing and intrusive. Could not do my job with out being questioned and redirected in some way, spoke "for my boss" more times than I can remember and liked to call me demeaning names, since I was young, new, and had a positive attitude (at-least I did when I first got there). This person was a micro manager to say the least, and they didn't even work in my department. I suppose they wanted me to be like them , old, bitter, and jaded by work. I was not even able to make small talk with out something negative escaping their mouth about how unrealistic my views and ideas were. As a new marketing professional, yes, I was excited when I saw areas that could benefit from great marketing innovation, and I wasn't shy about my ideas, and they weren't unrealistic or unreasonable. The company says they foster ideas of employees, but all I got was put down and told the "your ideas are great, but none of them are going to happen" by this co-worker who didn't even work in the areas I would discuss, it was just small talk between co-workers and they acted like I was asking them to pay for my idea out of their own pocket. Its really the Cosmopolitans loss,because I did have some great ideas for them , that I know could have made them money and still haven't seem them offered by the Cosmo yet, so their loss.

1- Filling any position with part time employees and expecting full time results is very unrealistic, even the best administrative professional could not accomplish this.
    2-Temp's should be treated with respect while under your employment and should be afforded the same basic rights to a healthy work environment. The biggest disappointment is that upper management completely turned a blind eye to a hostile work environment situation because I was a temp. Although the position I had fit my values and abilities, the work environment and requirements were horrible and unrealistic.

Sometimes you're in and sometimes you're out

Former Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some good intelligent people. The vision was positive at the beginning

Cons

Everything changes suddenly and rudeness and hostility became not only the norm but acceptable

It starts t the top. Take a good look at your executive and especially your HR team with open eyes. You have a great product just a bad team

There are newer employer reviews for The Cosmopolitan