The Cosmopolitan

There are newer employer reviews for The Cosmopolitan

Great

Former Employee - Valet Parking  in  Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Valet Parking in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Employee Dining room, lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Like all casinos, odd hours, very political.

34 Other Employee Reviews for The Cosmopolitan (View Most Recent)

Great company but I was treated like a second class employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Culture
    Really like their approach on how they treat customers
    Train their employees really well
    Onsite food is really good
    Overall really fun place to work at
    Again the culture is none other found on the strip

Cons

The way management handled my termination was not professional
    The use of probationary period clause legally let them fire me with out any cause
    Management turned blind eye when a racial slur was made toward me by a fellow employee

Take a look at how terminations are handled. Even when it is a entry level position.

Great Ideas - Poor Execution, They need better people to execute and not get rid of the ones who are willing to.

Former Employee - Management  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Management in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brand is great. Property is great. Even Staff is great.

Cons

Cons are very subjective and often times smaller picture... it's generally always the last taste that was left in their mouth prior leaving.

Please refer to advice to management to get an understanding where I'm coming from.

Superiors need to assist in execution to their assistants/Supervisors. They need to show that they are the HARDEST working person within their dept/venue otherwise there is no point in working for them. In addition to "looking" like the hardest worker, they need to know how to do EVERYTHING from FOH stuff to administrative (which I know for a fact they do not). They need to motivate and persuade their entry level managers to see what they see and mentor through. Upper managers need to understand how entry level managers think/function and adapt to their way of thinking and mentor out the bad habits. IT IS NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. These entry-mid level managers only know what they are taught. The good entry-mid managers will understand and re-mold their way of thinking. That's how effective Managers work (Entry Level all the way up the ladder). It's a simple formula, but never followed.

They need to realize that the managers they spent time and effort to hire and train (BARELY) are extremely capable (based on their past experience) and willing to run the operations if given the correct support. When it is clearly turning into a favorites game or an exclusive gender club, it puts everyone else not in that "club" at a huge disadvantage.

As a former entry-mid level manager, I can understand we can be inconsistent from time to time, BUT not all the time. IE: every day a change in operation or change in schedules for line level staff and you dont even contact them about the change saying it is their responsibility for them to check online when you dont even stay up on posting them online? All of that can easily be corrected.

Directors need to be a little more hands on and enforce, unless they are part of the club which I really hope not considering the negative impact it has put in this department. Empowerment and support (even if they dont quite agree but still correct) is what these entry-mid level managers need to work!

Then it will trickle down to the line level staff. Otherwise, they will be hiring and firing/replacing for those who quit the same positions every 4-6 months which is extremely not fair for the line level staff who has seen all the turnover from Upper down to entry level managers.... and you wonder why your line level staff is the way they are? Over the months, I even noticed the change in staffing. A lot of the good ones are leaving or gone... the ones who have been there since opening. What does that say about the upper managers?

I was hired because of my previous skills and how I get along with the staff... Essentially, I was playing clean up for my superiors so they still look good. I can run this operation with my eyes closed because I have the support of the staff. I never talked back to you guys always listen to your direction and follow thru no matter how ridiculous it was, perhaps that was why...lol. It is when you notice that they support me more than you guys was when you decided to flip the switch on me. I am no longer mad at that, Red Tape is Red Tape. You even said that I was a very well liked person and can do the job well during my exit interview (termination session).

They work for you, but not with you. That is direct result of poor management skills. People follow good managers. It is clear to me based on how long upper managers have been there in comparison to the amount of turnover that has occurred during is a direct correlation to how ineffective of a manager(s) you really are. I wish you and the venue nothing but the best because there are some (what's left) good workers in there that deserve good direction, and the property itself deserves it too.

There are newer employer reviews for The Cosmopolitan

Worked for The Cosmopolitan? Contribute to the Community!