The Counseling Center

www.thecounselingcenter.org
  www.thecounselingcenter.org
There are newer employer reviews for The Counseling Center

Friendly people, family atmosphere, heavy work load for below average pay and crappy benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portsmouth, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH

I worked at The Counseling Center

Pros

It's a good atmosphere, most of the time, especially if the Exec management likes you. Clinical staff are often offered good training opportunities; The center is respected in the community, and so employees are as well. Good paid time off, vacation, sick and holidays.

Cons

Poor health benefits; Exec Dir micromanages his staff. Appoints staff to supervisor position, but it's more of a title than a real management position. Exec Dir is very convincing, but uses it to manipulate staff. He gives great evaluations, and then will fire you on the spot; needs to go to a human resource class. Direct care staff consist mostly of former patients, and are hired as soon as chart is closed. Too many direct reports that lack maturity and training for management to effectively supervise. Then many are trusted to give good care. If the Exec Dir only knew how some of them talk to clients when management is not around! Seriously unethical behavior, even client abuse. You have to be a client to know what it's like, and many that are hired do exactly what was done to them, or worse. Work load for counselors is way too high for the pay, and some supervisors are rude and don't do anything themselves. A few are given programs that they know nothing about. Exec Dir controls the Board, so they sign off on anything he wants. He feeds them very sweet koolaid, and they just guzzle it down.

Train managers to manage, or hire people that have been trained. Train staff and require better supervision. Do something about the health care plan. Have a true process for hiring into bigger positions, with some objectivity, rather than just putting people in there that you like.....and not looking at those you haven't bothered to get to know.

3 Other Employee Reviews for The Counseling Center (View Most Recent)

Good work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH

I have been working at The Counseling Center

Pros

Really care about their clients.

Cons

Communication from management is sometimes lacking. Middle management doesn't get enough support.

Give your middle management clerical and administrative support, and it will actually save you money.

Profound Experiences

I have been working at The Counseling Center

Pros

The Counseling Center is the best employment I've had. It is a fast paced environment with new challenges every day. The company is client focused and tries to make a difference in the battle against the disease of addiction. It is a growing organization with a community that cares for each other. I find that each day, I meet a new employee or cl with a story all their own and it adds to my understanding of the experience of life. I hope to have a long career here.

Cons

I find very few things to pinpoint negatively.

There are newer employer reviews for The Counseling Center

Worked for The Counseling Center? Contribute to the Community!