The Counseling Center
www.thecounselingcenter.org Portsmouth, OH 150 to 499 Employees

Friendly people, family atmosphere, heavy work load for below average pay and crappy benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Portsmouth, OH

ProsIt's a good atmosphere, most of the time, especially if the Exec management likes you. Clinical staff are often offered good training opportunities; The center is respected in the community, and so employees are as well. Good paid time off, vacation, sick and holidays.

ConsPoor health benefits; Exec Dir micromanages his staff. Appoints staff to supervisor position, but it's more of a title than a real management position. Exec Dir is very convincing, but uses it to manipulate staff. He gives great evaluations, and then will fire you on the spot; needs to go to a human resource class. Direct care staff consist mostly of former patients, and are hired as soon as chart is closed. Too many direct reports that lack maturity and training for management to effectively supervise. Then many are trusted to give good care. If the Exec Dir only knew how some of them talk to clients when management is not around! Seriously unethical behavior, even client abuse. You have to be a client to know what it's like, and many that are hired do exactly what was done to them, or worse. Work load for counselors is way too high for the pay, and some supervisors are rude and don't do anything themselves. A few are given programs that they know nothing about. Exec Dir controls the Board, so they sign off on anything he wants. He feeds them very sweet koolaid, and they just guzzle it down.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to manage, or hire people that have been trained. Train staff and require better supervision. Do something about the health care plan. Have a true process for hiring into bigger positions, with some objectivity, rather than just putting people in there that you like.....and not looking at those you haven't bothered to get to know.

Good work environment

Portsmouth, OH

I have been working at The Counseling Center

Pros: Really care about their clients. Cons: Communication from management is sometimes lacking. Middle management doesn't… Advice to Senior Management: Give your middle management clerical and administrative support, and it… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Profound Experiences

I have been working at The Counseling Center

Pros: The Counseling Center is the best employment I've had. It is a fast paced environment with new challenges every day. The company is client focused… Cons: I find very few things to pinpoint negatively. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on The Counseling Center.

Worked for The Counseling Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Counseling Center reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by The Counseling Center employees.