There are newer employer reviews for The Franklin Institute

This was an amazing first job experience.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to "get my foot in the door" and was given the freedom to pursue my different interests within the Institute. Everyone there was extremely positive in their day-to-day interactions and made it a pleasant place to be!

Cons

The pay was below the market average for my job, and the offices are located in the basement--It definitely got a little claustrophobic at times.

reviews filtered by
  1. Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back dress, good benefits, work is somewhat rewarding

Cons

Major lack of leadership, high turnover, no training or programs to help you improve, technology is outdated for a science and technology museum, work/ life balance is not great, management does not give clear goals and team based environment is not stressed. The organization is non-profit so they try to cut back and not hire people. If you are part-time, great! you can move all over the organization. Full-time staff are given the bulk of the work, sometimes doing two people's job's at once. If a position is vacant, it is typical for them to do away with the position all together rather than spend time trying to fill it. The tasks will simply be handed to an employee. The place is rarely closed, only about 4 times a year. Burn out is a common theme.

Create a reason for employees to want to stay and advance their career's. Invest in newer technology that does not crash on a daily basis. Keep a closer eye mid-level management and how they treat employees. Learn to build your staff from the ground up.

2. Horrible Management, Not Amenable to Health Problems

Former Employee - Box Office in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Box Office in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Walking around the museum, perks for having an ID badge, easy job, fun to work in exhibits

Cons

They hire managers that are clueless when it comes to managing people, I was told the questions I asked when I wasn't sure what to do was stupid, I had a medical problem while there and I was penalized for it (missing a week of work because I was in the hospital) and they were NOT accommodating to my physical ailment. The supervisors were great, but anyone above that would degrade lower employees and embarrass the others.

Hire managers who know how to manage.

There are newer employer reviews for The Franklin Institute