There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Great for someone who likes fast-paced environments

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

* Great Advancement Opportunities * Always busy so the day goes by quickly * Great people to work with * Management was prompt with my review and raise * Requested days off are appraised if given proper notice * Centered around customer service

Cons

* As it is in every super market, word spreads Fast...! * Not enough help. Often have to compensate for someone calling out sick, or slackers. * Corporate visits can be very stressful if your department is not up to par - which may or may not be caused by the above ^

Advice to Management

I have no advice, they are doing a great job at my store. I've been through two managers, both have treated me fairly. ASM's have treated me fairly as well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great for entry-level management experience, but not a company worth working for otherwise

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

The Fresh Market has "Specialist" positions that are not managers, yet still department heads. Even though your oversight and instruction of subordinates in these positions is limited, it does give you a feel for this experience, and you are still given the full responsibility of the management and profitability of the department. Great way to move into management without prior experience.

Cons

Store managers are frequently hired from outside the company, many of them without experience, and given minimum training...only a drive to focus on policies without a proper understanding of the actual day-to-day functions of the store. This alone lowers morale, but when that is combined with pay and benefits that do not match the company's competitors, it provides an overall experience that is unpleasant to say the least.

Advice to Management

Significantly increase training for store managers. Give them adequate training time in each department to be able to manage it themselves if necessary. As it is now, most managers do not understand how to do so, and this leads to either relentless nitpicking or careless oversight.

2. Lots of stress for managers.

I worked at The Fresh Market

Pros

Fun place to work most of time.

Cons

Week upper management, out of touch.

Advice to Management

Growing too fast, and enough trained people to staff the stores.