There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Nice, but a bit disorganized

Current Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They start you out above minimum wage with a review and possible raise after 90 day. They, are flexible with asking off, management is nice, other employees are nice and helpful, reasonably good place to be if you need money

Cons

Totally disorganized. They had problems getting me into the system and setting me up as a cashier. The whole first week was a day to day basis and there was literally no planning for my training. They just stuck me on a register with another cashier and had me watch. Their definition of "full-time" is 25+ hours. Lot's of complaints from other employees about corporate.

Advice to Management

Maybe plan the training phase a little bit more. Really get some good organizational skills going.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a pleasant place to work

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good quality products; upscale atmosphere/customers; room for advancement

Cons

Incompetant/underqualified store management; deparments are frequently overworked/understaffed, not enough cashiers, baggers, service clerks, etc; new employees do not receive proper training, tossed into the fire so to speak TFM demands perfection from emoployees yet the pay ($9-11 per hour) is barely above minimum wage; excellent employees are not rewarded--raises are 3% once a year across the board (roughly around 30 cents for most) whether you're the best worker or the worst; schedules are only required to be posted 3 days before the new work week starts; set days off are out of the question; your life schedule revolves around what works for them; I could go on... and honestly, this was the only negative job experience of my life. company is small enough where store and district management can get away with lies, games, and unfair treatment; as a customer the store looks like a grocery paradise, but behind the scenes TFM is hell.

Advice to Management

Quit giving store managers free reign and rewarding them for running the stores and employees to the bone. Return to the values that fostered the growth of this company 10-15 years ago.

2. It is an ok place to work at the entry level.

Current Employee - Meat and Seafood in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Meat and Seafood in Westport, CT

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is fair. Co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with. The work atmosphere for the most part is pretty easy going. Nobody is constantly over your shoulder.

Cons

The hours aren't always consistent. The customers can be a bit demanding and unruly. The salary leaves much to be desired. There is little to no room for upward mobility. And when there is, politics tend to play a huge factor. And finally, health benefits for part time workers are inadequate.