There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Good place to start out.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company provides pretty good training for beginner and is willing to help you advance if you show initiative. You have to be willing to work hard and stand out. Plus you get 20 percent off most goods in the store.

Cons

Hours can be tricky, they do it based on sales so sometimes the store can be understaffed. Getting there fulltime can be tough.
Corporate can be a pain.

Corporate really needs to listen to store employees, especially department heads. They know the store and what sells more, so listen and let them work independently.

386 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

A very unorganized, over-rated, arrogant, vile company to work for.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros honestly in my opinion. The employee discount is ok but everything in the store is so over priced the discount does not help much at all.

Cons

Everything is messed up about this company!

-All management cares about sucking up to TFM Corporate.
    -Management and customers threaten you with Corporate write-ups daily just to make you more stressed.
    -Extremely rude customers!
    -Extreme micromanagement regardless of your level of experience.
    -No training at all. you are thrown in and expected to learn everything instantly, if you don't here comes your write up.
    -Unsafe working conditions for all employees.
    -Dirty employee bathrooms and breakrooms with no heat or air conditioning ever.
    -People who should not be in any management position due to their own incompetence and complete abuse for all those under them.
    -Management is clueless on how to treat employees!
    -Management always pushes employee concerns under the rug and ridicules the employee.
    -Management is unorganized and overbearing from corporate to the top store manager all the way down to each department manager and assistant managers.
    -Slackers get rewarded by being able to do whatever they want but hard workers are over-worked and abused.
    -Rampant favoritism everywhere.
    -Corporate has a daily quota for displine write ups. This leads to the extreme abuse of write-ups for extremely petty, and sometimes outright false accusations.
    -Having to listen to the same 8 classical music songs on replay for your entire shift everyday.

Management all of you are just a mere human like everyone else. A manager position does not give you the right to treat others like dirt. It should be mandatory that All store managers, store assistant managers, department managers, and department assistant managers attend courses about real management, teamwork, boosting workplace morale, and stop the nitpicking about everything.
    Also stop hiding in the office or the back areas joke around while everyone else has to attend to a store filled to the brim with customers and then hear you yell at them for not being fast enough. Stop being so arrogant.

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Worked for The Fresh Market? Contribute to the Community!