The Fresh Market

www.thefreshmarket.com
  www.thefreshmarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Would never recommend TFM for employment.

Former Employee - Produce Department Manager in Montvale, NJ
Former Employee - Produce Department Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1.) 20% discount made available on first day of unemployment.
2.) "Chance" of promotion.
3.) "Chance" of F/T employment.
4.) Solidarity with fellow co-workers over existentialist crisis of a "job well done."

Cons

1.) Zero work/life balance.
2.) Zero guarantee of a 40 hr. work week.
3.) Prepared foods are terrifyingly unhealthy.
4.) Produce department has on average less organic produce than regular chains (at least in the NY/NJ area). What product does come in the same as what you'll find in a regular chain - right down to the box it came in.
5.) Personal hygiene is not something all employees appreciate.
6.) All breads and cookies are pre-made and unhealthy.
7.) Meat department does have some good product though you won't find organic/grass fed meats. Seafood department has mostly frozen and internationally sourced product. Meats used in the prepared foods (deli) are from big farms ie Tyson.
8.) The grocery/PG department is consistently under stocked. Please count the shelf holes next time you're in for a good chortle.
9.) Woefully undertrained staff.
10.) As a department manager, you have zero input into who the store decides to hire. You have no input into forecasting or budgeting hours. This isn't necessarily a con if these things hadn't been promised to you in lead up to employment.
11.) Inability to move a problem employee toward termination through write-ups etc.

I would say to stop misrepresenting yourself as an aww shucks, good-natured, God-fearing, healthy living, family centered business. You are a cruel and ruthless employer. I would go as fas as saying Darth Vader would take issue with your practices. You are where hope goes to die, where after runs and morons go to manage. I would like it if you could just say, "We have no personal integrity and we will do whatever it takes to make a buck - not an honest, hard earned buck - but a buck made by placing our employees into impossible situations. We will demand you to do a job in 40 hours that actually takes 80 hours to complete. And when you don't meet your goal, we will mock and gode you and tell you that you're an awful worker and that you must improve."

TFM is like a girlfriend who always comes home with an STD, but you know - its your fault because you didn't stop her from cheating on you.

There is really no advice that I could offer upper management. They got the golden goose and are infallible in all ways. I will take great joy in the impending failure of TFM to wow new customers in ever more sophisticated locales what with their shoe-string budget for employee hours.

454 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

a company that truly does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Hard Worker in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Hard Worker in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% discount on purchases, decent bonus at christmas, fellow employees are for the most part friendly, good coffee and cheap sodas from vending machine.

Cons

from corporate heads at hq's on down to store managers, no concerns for hourly employees at all everything is all about the almighty buck. i dont know where you people find most of your store managers and asst store managers, most of them must have been mgrs at dairy queen or something you should do a better background check on them. one asst mgr new to our store, stays in the back room most of the day on computer on the phone walking around or bs ing. your people in the marketing dept are a joke!!! always the same crap on sale you must pay them too much. pay raises are a joke, when whole foods opens up, bye bye to your employees who by the way make you corporate bosses that big money you dont deserve.

listen, listen, listen to your employees. give those that deserve it better pay. give us more time off. treat us with respect if you want respect in return.

A very unorganized, over-rated, arrogant, vile company to work for.

Former Employee - Cashier in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros honestly in my opinion. The employee discount is ok but everything in the store is so over priced the discount does not help much at all.

Cons

Everything is messed up about this company!

-All management cares about sucking up to TFM Corporate.
    -Management and customers threaten you with Corporate write-ups daily just to make you more stressed.
    -Extremely rude customers!
    -Extreme micromanagement regardless of your level of experience.
    -No training at all. you are thrown in and expected to learn everything instantly, if you don't here comes your write up.
    -Unsafe working conditions for all employees.
    -Dirty employee bathrooms and breakrooms with no heat or air conditioning ever.
    -People who should not be in any management position due to their own incompetence and complete abuse for all those under them.
    -Management is clueless on how to treat employees!
    -Management always pushes employee concerns under the rug and ridicules the employee.
    -Management is unorganized and overbearing from corporate to the top store manager all the way down to each department manager and assistant managers.
    -Slackers get rewarded by being able to do whatever they want but hard workers are over-worked and abused.
    -Rampant favoritism everywhere.
    -Corporate has a daily quota for displine write ups. This leads to the extreme abuse of write-ups for extremely petty, and sometimes outright false accusations.
    -Having to listen to the same 8 classical music songs on replay for your entire shift everyday.

Management all of you are just a mere human like everyone else. A manager position does not give you the right to treat others like dirt. It should be mandatory that All store managers, store assistant managers, department managers, and department assistant managers attend courses about real management, teamwork, boosting workplace morale, and stop the nitpicking about everything.
    Also stop hiding in the office or the back areas joke around while everyone else has to attend to a store filled to the brim with customers and then hear you yell at them for not being fast enough. Stop being so arrogant.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market