The Fresh Market

www.thefreshmarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

The produce is great, the people... not so much

Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Above minimum wage - As a cashier I received plenty of breaks - Sampling different foods and interacting with customers who love gourmet foods

Cons

- A total lack of accountability on the part of management - I was harrassed by one manager and complained multiple times and the issue was never fixed - this occured at the Fresh Market in Baltimore on Quarry Lake Dr. - some of the managers are understanding but for the most part there are a lot of untrustworthy people who take advantage of people who work under them (i.e. questionable behavior, unprofessional language, and harassment)

They need to follow through with complaints made by employees. I wasn't the only person who had difficulty with some of the managers and even after people complained nothing happened. The work environment was very clique-y and that's why people got away with inappropriate behavior.

483 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

This is a very stable job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great sense of community, and a discount on groceries!

Cons

Sometimes difficult to move up because of seniority issues.

If I could give a negative star I would

Former Employee - Cashier Produce Bakery in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier Produce Bakery in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the best co-workers I've ever met were at TFM, we were like one big happy family till corporate/management became ridiculously strict.

Cons

Every TFM is different but...The main thing is the unbelievable stress level. It looks like a nice place but once you've been there a month you'll realize you'll be doing the work of 3 people. They don't hire enough workers because they can make more money that way. My last week working there they had me closing 2 departments all by myself (we were super short staffed because everybody was walking off the job). No raises, once you get $9 a hour that's what they call "topping out." It doesn't matter if you've been there for years or have kids to feed that's all you'll ever make (unless you move up to management). Management but mainly corporate is the problem. They have no idea what they are doing and come down on you with the hammer of Thor over there being a leaf (yes, literally a leaf) on the ground. Corporate is ridiculously stressful. They will scream at you in front of customers then turn around and have the nerve to tell you about how they have 3 houses ect. Like most companies it's profit over people. :(

Be reasonable, be respectful, don't be another wall-mart.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market