There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Good job for those who are young and looking to move up in the company. Not so good for the rest of us.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Latham, NY
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Latham, NY

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on food and sampling allows you to try out some things you wouldn't otherwise. A lot of good, smart people working in the lower positions. When I reported my manager for cutting my hours without going through the proper channels an assistant store manager resolved it quickly.

Cons

- Low pay for amount of work and for the disruptive hours they schedule.
- If you are branded as slow by coworkers you get micromanaged even when you prove you are more efficient on your own.
- Had a department manager who played favorites and cut my hours without notice due to hearsay from one of my coworkers.
- Open door "policy corrected this and I got my normal 20 hour, mostly mornings schedule back, for a while.
- Was then given a full time schedule - which I did not want as I am homemaker and thought I was working part time - that consisted of shifts in the middle of the day and into the night for closing.
- Closing is about twice as hard a time to work than any other shift yet you get paid nothing extra, have to be at the store until at least 10:30PM and then you have to wait at the front door for as long as ten minutes AFTER you punched out because you have to wait for the manager to "release" you.
- No break room to speak of so if you can't go home for lunch you have to sit at a crowded table, or your car.
- Cut hours when sales went down as punishment when they should have increased hours - and hence,Customer Service - to increase sales.
- In contrast to their image as a healthy, upscale grocery store they are not much different from your typical grocery store once you step behind the curtain.
- Loud dance music when setting up and closing the store.

For the amount of profit you make on what you sell and how tightly you control overhead costs you should be able to hire more workers and pay them better. The store generally lost a lot of the competent and intelligent workers in my time there, leaving the loyal but less capable ones and the newbies behind. Basically, everyone is overworked and underpaid and until you resolve that issue you will continue to have turnover issues.

413 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice, pay is high for a high school student, raises are given after 3 months, generous 20% employee discount, a lot of free food, VERY flexible scheduling

Cons

None I can think of except they messed up my paycheck the first month and a half, but I was fully paid. Didn't really matter since I don't have bills to pay as a teenager.

My experience has been great so far

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WONDERFUL advancement opportunities, management has always treated me well, including corporate - and the ones who don't usually just don't like the job and don't end up staying very long. I have worked here more than a year and overall, I really like this company. I like working in a specialty food environment, and helping the customers find what they are looking for. I learn something new every day. I look forward to continue my career here! :-)

Cons

Benefits could be better.
    I like to wear a lot of colors and dress code calls for white, grey, brown, or black under shirt :/ maybe consider changing it to wearing only solid colors!

When you hire outside of the store for Store Management, consider putting them on a 90 day test run, to see how they treat people, and see if the job is right for them. Give them the job after they accept the conditions in the store, and don't be afraid to ask specialists/Dept heads their opinion of them! Alot of ASMs don't stay because they thought the job was something different.. promised 40 hr weeks (end up w 50+), and store manager (location change) possibly with in a year. They end up being let down, just tell 'em how it is. You gotta work and prove yourself and there always is possibility for advancement, but w very hard work and persistence. Nothing is handed to you at this company, so don't fool people into the job -- It ends up not being good for anyone.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market