There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Great retail environment

Former Employee - Area Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Area Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Wonderful place for advancement. If you are a hard and responsible employee, there is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Your working in retail and the hours are always crazy. A management position is a little more flexible with hours.

Be a team player. If you train a strong team of employees you will progress with the company. Always train someone to replace you.

reviews filtered by
  1. A fun yet fast paced place to work, with managers who are sensitive to necessary time off.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

From what I have experienced, the managers at Gap Inc. are very flexible with schedules. I had an injury in Jan 2011 and they allowed me to take off as much time as needed to recover, no questions asked. They were respectful in placing me in stationary areas once I returned so I wouldn't have to walk the entire building while I was working.
    Teamwork is very important at Gap Inc. The managers always encourage working together to make a better environment for not only ourselves, but for our customers. This is overall a great place to work.

Cons

With so many employees working in one store, hours per employee are not often abundant, but if you need more hours, the managers do their best to give you more.

I think the leadership team is doing a great job at Gap Inc. They are very aware of their employees needs and to their best to facilitate them.

Worst Job Ever!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

You get a great discount on the clothes, and the other sales associates were very nice and friendly.

Cons

Total disorganization and chaos! This is possibly the worst job I've ever had, and I've been in corporate all of my life, in manager/supervisor/director positions. I took a "holiday sales staff" job to earn some money while I am job searching, so I was clearly over-qualified for the job, but thought it would at least be fun to be able to socialize with customers and assist them with shopping. Instead, I have never witnesses a more poorly executed hiring and training process in my life. It was a textbook case of "what not to do when hiring for retail."

Other than watching a 2-hour "training" video, I received no training -- not even on the cash register. The manager never entered me into the work email system, so I kept missing emails telling me to come into work. The only person who ever complimented my work and noticed that I was selling a lot of kids' clothes was another sales associate. But the Gap doesn't pay commission, and the only sales goals I could report was on how many pairs of denim I sold. So everything else didn't count. The store manager was too busy to care, and he stopped staffing me, so I quit. My direct deposit never kicked in, and the store manager never called me to say that he had my paycheck at the store. I had to hunt it down, and it took weeks for me to receive my final paycheck.

Train your store managers in how to support and cultivate their employees. Store managers represent the Gap brand. Employees represent the Gap brand. Don't ever give any employee a reason to not LOVE the Gap brand! It is the store manager's job (and assistant store managers) to make sure new employees have the tools and training they need to succeed in their job. If the employees don't succeed, the manager does not succeed, either. And be willing to pay to have enough sales associates on the floor. It is impossible to keep the store tidy during "rush hours." After working the Kids' section just a few times, I figured out that the "rush hour" for the Kid's department was between 2pm - 5pm, when moms pick their kids up from school and run errands, e.g. go to The Gap for new clothes. So if I could figure that out after just a few times working there, the managers should have figured it out and added more staff to the Kids' section in the afternoons. This is not rocket science! But, they didn't have the budget for it. So, OK, the store will look like a mess, then.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap