There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Good job title...But there is always a better company...

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits was good start once declared a full-timer, bonus structure was ok for the level I was. You are able to learn a lot, and many locations for career opportunities. A good place to work, if you want to have the freedom to wear whatever clothes you please, and many store managers are open to new ideas to help drive business. Pay isn't the best but will get you by until you get higher up. Also work/life balance was great, if you had any last many issues occur in your life, there are normally 3-5 managers scheduled, which makes it easy to leave work early if feeling sick or need to go to an appointment. Paid time off is determine on hours you work not how long you have been there.

Cons

Training is terrible. I came in promised I would get the training and never received it, let alone another manager was told the same thing before me and it never happened. I got bitched out about things I was never taught. A lot of self teaching and trail and error, which is bad because it could result in you getting fired. Because of so many external hires nobody really knows the policy and procedures of the company and there are many unanswered questions, and as a manager, you have to seek the answer from other managers from other stores. Most times they do not even know the answers either. Some policy and procedures has gaps in them to which you have to make a judgment call on what to do, which could also lead to you getting fired. When its slow, its slow to the point there are nobody but managers working due to hours, and there could be 5 customers in the store for the next 2-3 hours. A lot of back stabbing went on in my store. Did not relay company changes to staff all that well. Management fused about performance in the store like customer service and credit card apps, but management was not helping performance and solely relied on the part-time associates to carry the work load. Part-timers got 3-4 hour shifts, sometimes 6 depending on the store. The encourage wearing the company clothes but employees can not wear 3.5 lengths shorts. But we sell them in the store. Does not make sense to tell employees they can't wear certain clothes but yet you want them to wear Old navy clothes and you sell the clothes you don't want employees to wear.

Training managers better and practice what you preach. Work better with part-time employees and don't wait to the last minute to organize events.

1613 Other Employee Reviews for The Gap (View Most Recent)

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, GA

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible, easy, great discounts, cute clothes

Cons

monotomous, grumpy customers, low pay,

Fun but disconnected

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, working with a team, fun environment, upbeat

Cons

New management, disconnect with employees and mgmt.,

When the new management came in it seemed like they had some great ideas but no way of expressing them: this led to the disconnect of sales associates and the rest of the team. The new manager that came in while I was there did not know how to communicate with their employees and, although I know they were only trying to help, communicated with us in a rude way that did not promote positive work in some people.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!