There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional enviroment, good benefit, good salary, flexible hrs.

Cons

The leader of department are not so professional as i accepected.

Traid the leaders of department on how to treat their employees right and fairly.

1603 Other Employee Reviews for The Gap (View Most Recent)

Eh- I used to love it, Future first-time employees read this as a warning

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First real job. Pay is decent and better than the mall. But my raise was barely over ten cents for working there over a year.

Cons

I don't know why it took me so long to quit with COMPLETE MINIMAL SCHEDULING AND POOR TREATEMENT. If you work where I work: Lack of hours, lack of availability, they don't care what happened and why you missed work. NEVER MISS A DAY, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW. Ex: if you had a clean record for over half a year, never late besides black friday because it was your first time but miss a weekend out of a SHEER month of not being scheduled, you get yelled at and told you'll be fired because you checked the prior e-mail of no schedule, in the summer, with full availability. BUT when you bring it up they will say They're running a business, it's not their fault. Then they will make it blatantly obvious that they called another employee twice over the weekend and left messages asking why they didn't come in, then being asked about termination, they will say give them another chance. ALL on the walkie system while you're working. They are very unfair and biased. They treat you like a stupid employee, constantly tell you what you should be doing, although you ARE doing it.
    To request off: the only way is in the system, or calling in to a manager 2+ weeks in advance. When they hired me they knew I had a sport the following year I made varsity, and after I warned them a month in advance, they told me to put it in the system the next time im working because it was too early to do so, every week i worked after that i was called out because of "lack of sales" Then im scheduled and my parents and i fought for over half an hour saying I warned them so far ahead that I had a varsity game, and they still had difficulty removing my 2 hour shift, which is all i get.
    If you don't have a life outside of school, its a great job because you'll get hours, if your busy and things pop up unexpectedly, forget it- you might as well sign your name saying you quit when that happens.

My GM: You're literally horrible. stop being such an X manager-type. You're only that way to me. It makes me feel like I'm treated differently, and instances have occurred enough that I no longer care about working there. When I was hired I loved working there, I always smiled and greeted customers. Store managers: Remember if your employees has no't seen the store in weeks, don't expect them to know where everything is within the first minute and get annoyed when they can't help a customer like that -finger snap-. Also, if an employee asks to be trained on the cashier so they don't spend their day in the fitting room: train them. IT'S INCREDIBLY BAD MANAGEMENT when you're employees are walking around the store and there's extra cashiers open even with the managers ringing. and the cash wrap line is making its way around the store. it makes you and me look bad.

Busy and Challenging

Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very busy and challenging, being in the IT environment of this high volume retail company's eCommerce group. A lot of changes occur and it is exciting as different teams work to make each one happen (small or large). One can learn a lot and it is a good place to work. Leadership is very conscious of work/life balance for its employees.

Cons

One can get caught in this ever changing environment and lose focus. Focusing and staying on track is a must to be successful.

Continue to value the great (human) resources that are there.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!