Fun place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement. Very good at training and development of managers and associates. Was going through an exciting growth period.

Cons

The hours were awful as a Store Manager.

Stop trying to cut hours in order to make a payroll goal...you need hours to make money. YOu can't offer good customer service if you have no people on your sales floor. Also you can't run a 2 box store on 3 managers.

Other Reviews for The Gap

Didn't like

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Discount was great, but that turned into a "con" because your paycheck is gone pretty quick. Some of the girls I worked with (in Gap Body) were very sweet.

Cons

I did not find the management to be fair or helpful at all. If you do not get involved in the cliques there, they basically ignore you. I had to call in sick one time because I was very ill, and I got so much attitude and was hung up on by one of the managers. I complained to another manager about it, and was then confronted by the first one in a very aggressive manner. I was not pleased. I ended up quitting because they kept scheduling me at times that conflicted with my class schedule, and even as I left management was very chilly.

Grow up! I felt like management treated this job like high school, complete with cliques and attitude.

Merchandise Planner--easy position but boring.

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Amazing work-life balance in-line with the San Francisco lifestyle. Leaving at 4pm on a Friday was accepted, as was an hour-long lunch outside. Gap offers great benefits and its corporate headquarters have an amazing location. Excelling training programs.

Cons

Felt very stagnant and bureaucratic. While there was definitely room for growth, it was very formulaic, i.e. 1 years here, then moving to a division with more volume, 2 years, 3% raise, then consideration for a promotion, etc. The work was also very formulaic and after about 6 months I could plan my categories in minutes.

Make the positions more interesting! Everything was so siloed that I felt like a tiny cog in a giant wheel--I had minimal impact on business.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!