The Gap

www.gap.com
  www.gap.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

its been such a great opportunity to work with some many talented coworkers!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance, strong community presence, flexible hours, casual attire. working within GID the ecommerce division of Gap Corporate is fun, innovative and exciting!

Cons

managing change management has been difficult at times as the company strives to stay innovative

1720 Other Employee Reviews for The Gap (View Most Recent)

Great Company. Don't expect an outside life

Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Experience Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome discount, company culture positive.

Cons

Be careful who you work for here. Senior management used scare tactics to meet their sales quotas. Quickly became about meeting deadlines and not cultivating a working store with a happy staff (which would have given them those goals). Our store quickly fell apart after ReStore.

Good Training & Discount but Low Pay and Sub Par Working Conditions

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first introduction to working in retail. I learned a lot about standards - how a store should look. Which I found very helpful to my future career in retail. There are a lot of systems in place to recognize employees by peers and management with rewards points which makes you feel good but these "rewards" do not translate into monetary rewards in your pay check. The discount is 50% which can be great! But it can also cause you to spend your entire paycheck at the store and not make any money.

Cons

Salaries are very confined to corporate structure for each level. I got a .06 cent raise and was told to be happy about it and they was the last straw for me. Additionally, I found there was a lot of pressure to work more hours then allowed without the proper breaks. Management was not on top of what break each employee was supposed to have. You had to know what was due to you and if you didn't take them you were the one who got in trouble not your managers. To be fair I worked at the 3rd busiest store in the country with 4 levels and on a huge shopping street so we were VERY busy and there was a lot of pressure for the store to look good always. I think this pressure varies widely depending on each individual store. Overall it was a good introduction to customer service and retail my training served me well but I was underpaid and overworked and left to find a better paying retail job elsewhere with a better work culture.

Treat employees well, realize employee will only stay and perform well if they are treated well in return.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap