The Gap

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

2nd time around and still good

Current Employee - Inventory Planning Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Inventory Planning Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great teamwork approach, career development is great, training is the best and always available, ROWE is a great perk

Cons

work-life balance can be difficult, if leadership changes their mind it's expected to make changes regardless of the original plans that were set in place and if it doesn't work out, it ends up being something we did wrong

more group outings to promote teamwork across all teams instead of immediate teams. there's no sense of true teamwork across brands.

1912 Other Employee Reviews for The Gap (View Most Recent)

Great company, great discount

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everything about this company was awesome... only if they paid a bit more.

Cons

Black friday is a killer

none

It's Alright

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management and other employees are generally pretty helpful and warm to talk to. I've made some nice friends while working here. The pay is above minimum wage which is nice, and the discounts are superb. I've heard some major retail horror stories from friends I have at other jobs, and luckily the management at my job has been very approachable and encouraging for the most part. Working at the Gap has definitely provided me with a great taste of retail and allowed me to experience enough positions in store to understand what I enjoy about retail and what I dislike.

Cons

You have goals on the Gap card and pretty much have to shove it on customers constantly, which is annoying for them (especially if they are regular shoppers who know the benefits and don't want it) and it is annoying for the employee. If you don't get your minimum Gap cards enough weeks in a row it is "suggested" that you get some special training of some sort, which seems tedious for a job that pays slightly above minimum wage. Staffing can also be an issue as well. You'll either be working the floor alone and running around multi-tasking like crazy (doing go-backs, maintaining or closing down sections of the store, greeting customers, checking out customers and so on), or you'll be super slow and over-staffed and not have much to do. It isn't the worst thing and you get used to it, it would just be nice if it were more consistent.

Don't make the Gap card a seem like a "sell-it-or-else" kind of situation. You offer a rewards system for stores or sales associates who sell it well, so make it where the employee earns things through selling it which will make them want to sell it rather than making it a requirement of sorts where you are subject to remedial training sessions if you are performing poorly. Also, maybe schedule things a little differently?

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap