The Gap

www.gap.com
  www.gap.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Gap

Easy to onboard, hard to be challenged.

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator
Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Work-life balance, team collaboration and camaraderie.

Cons

Easier to advance within online than bricks/mortars channel. However, you have to prove yourself at a lower grade/level in order to move up within the organization. That said, there are a lot tenured and overqualified employees at their level.

Truly assess the experience and hard work of individuals and reward/promote accordingly. Or at least give credit (praise) where credit is due.

1756 Other Employee Reviews for The Gap (View Most Recent)

Great Career..Fun place..but same as any other retail job

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Gap

Pros

great training, opportunity for advancement..fun and great product

Cons

Even though they practice family/work balance...you earned merit on the hours and time you put in..The more you worked the more recognition you got

Great place to work... even better if you're willing to move

I worked at The Gap

Pros

I worked for The Gap for 10 years. I worked 4 in the field and 6 as a corporate employee. The company promotes a great work/life balance... as long as your boss is in line with it. There are some employees that work 50+ hours a week easily but it's mainly because of their manager. I worked a lot but it was because I did it to myself since I didn't like leaving things undone. When I needed the time off, I never had an issue taking a few days off... even if it was last minute. It was mainly because the managers I had were awesome. I loved the managers I worked with. They helped me get to a solid career path when I had none. Make the best of the tuition reimbursement and training opportunities as much as possible. It will go a long way. I regret sometimes leaving the company.

Cons

Company focus changed a lot in the 10 years I worked there. Ever since Glenn Murphy came on-board the vision has been clear.... but it damaged a lot of employees trying to keep up with the constant change. I traveled a lot so that was a con. Store managers have a lot of expectations so my job was to support them as much as possible. Some were rude... most were appreciative.

Continue to focus on employee development. Promotions come but they're hard to come by if you're not ready to take the next step. Continue to hear your employees concerns and you will do well.

There are newer employer reviews for The Gap