The Goddard School

There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School

Ridiculous!!!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Southlake, TX
Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Southlake, TX

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun most of the time, great director, love the families! Too much interference from rude and pushy corporate people. Thought this was a "franchise" but it's just a way for Goddard to get uneducated and unsuspecting owners to run their business.

Cons

Too much paperwork with the curriculum. Not enough time for all the work that is expected. Not enough pay for someone with a 4 year degree. Owner who overworks her teachers and director. Changed the PTO benefits from when we opened. The school is closed and yet we are forced to use 5 of our PTO days for pay when the company is FORCING us to be off???? Way to save money,owner!

The owner spends so much time sitting in meetings with the other owners that she expects everyone else to do all of the work. Our director is there at least 10 hours a day and doesn't have an assistant to help her.Always having hours cut, but we are understaffed?? Gossipy and immature coworkers who whine to the owner when the director tells them things to do need to go!

144 Other Employee Reviews for The Goddard School (View Most Recent)

Run, don't walk, away!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children, the families, and a small group of coworkers, were seriously the only things that kept me around.

Cons

Poor pay compared to other preschools in the area; franchise-wide focus on paperwork and ridiculous "curricula" that does nothing to foster meaningful development in the children; very limited benefits; no set payscale (staff who have an unrelated, or no, college degree make as much compensation or more than those staff who are licensed, accredited teachers); franchisees who aren't required to have any knowledge about preschools or education before opening a school; franchisees who have no desire to spend money on their programs above lining their own pockets.

There's a lot I could say, but it all basically boils down to this: Your focus should be on the children, and not your personal profit. Toys will need to be replaced/repaired/supplemented from time to time, and this is not a negative reflection on your staff. Kids break things, especially when there's not enough toys to start with or the toys are of poor quality. Your staff should not be expected to buy all of their lesson plan materials out of their own pockets; there should be a per-class monthly budget for supplies ($10-$15/month would suffice--not talking $$$ here). Furthermore, your qualified staff--the ones whom you need to have around to get a high rating from the state accreditation agency--will continue to leave if you continue to pay them the same or at a lower rate than people who have no degree and are just there for a paycheck. Finally--the curriculum is ridiculous, pure fluff that serves no real purpose other than to be a marketing ploy to unsuspecting parents. We were so busy trying to make sure that we covered all of the foreign language, yoga, and sign language content that Goddard advertises that we weren't able to focus on what really matters for Kindergarten readiness--which is learning the social skills necessary for successful participation in a large group learning environment and picking up some ABCs/123s/critical thinking skills. Not to mention that the "training" given to staff on the foreign languages is laughable--I was handed a book with some Mandarin printed out on it and was told to teach it--no pronunciation guides, no explanation of the alphabet, no NOTHING. If you wanted to effectively teach something like Mandarin, you'd be doing a lot more than just throwing a book at someone who has no background in the language. But as things stand now, the "curriculum" is just an empty marketing tool.

Owner is all about money not employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at The Goddard School

Pros

Great director, staff and kids. Clean. Wear uniforms. Closed week after Christmas with pay F/T employees only. Good with scheduling personal apts.

Cons

Owner messes up on paychecks and makes us use vacation for sick, she keeps changing her mind on when u can use vacation. Owner does not replace broken items she waits a year or two. Owner doesn't communicate with parents when employees leave, making them confused. Benefits are too expensive takes ur whole paycheck. Owner doesn't know what employees are F/T or P/T.
    No consistency with younger classrooms with what teachers will be in and out. Owner seems to not know what is going on in school but yet will come in and start bossing the teachers around.

Offer sick time separate from vacation. Let vacation roll over. Start listening to ur directors and staff and know ur staff. Need more room to breath with QA. Hold owners accountable in how they treat staff.

There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School