There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School

Good company to work for... if you have a good owner

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher
Former Employee - Assistant Teacher

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High standards - the corporate office really cares about the quality of education they are providing, clean environment - team environment - great families

Cons

Since they are a franchised company - the owners make all the difference in a good school or a terrible one. Goddard corporate does have a quality assurance program to make sure kids are getting the care they need but not every school tries to follow Goddard ratios when QA isn't there and some states have much higher ratios!

The 1st Goddard I worked out was a wonderful school - of course the teachers there had complaints - but they were relatively small compared to what I experienced later. I love my job at this Goddard, the directors and owner/on site operator all had years of experience in the classroom and really tried to help teachers work through anything is they were having a hard time with. The staff was great (everyone didn't get along all of the time but I don't think that possible in a building full of women) .

I loved that job so much I sought out a Goddard to work at when I moved to another state. This 2nd Goddard was an entirely different animal than the first! The owners did not have a background in education but wanted to be involved in the daily operation. Goddard has a philosophy of learning through play - we are supposed to provide materials and allow the children to freely explore them with some group time during the day. This owner couldn't stand to walk past a room and have it be loud or messy. When you allow 1-3 year olds to freely explore their environment it is going to be loud...it is going to be messy. This owner didn't care for the Goddard philosophy she wanted to see mostly group time with a little bit of play. She wanted to walk by the rooms and hear what she thought learning sounded like and see what see thought it looked it - kids sitting around their teacher, eyes peeled on her and the teacher singing - or reading a book. Some of these kids are there from 6:30- 6:00 they are not going to sit and listen all day! They also didn't always follow Goddard ratios so we were expected to maintain the orderly school appearance she wanted with more kids than Goddard recommends per teacher. No one has happy there.

This school had a high turnover ratio for teachers and directors.

I suggest conducting anonymous surveys with staff to see how effective your franchisees are.

125 Other Employee Reviews for The Goddard School (View Most Recent)

Great place to work and grwo

Current Employee - Director in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Florence, KY

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of support from corporate office.

Cons

Some of the staff can be difficult to work with at times.

Set clear expectations and follow through to earn respect.

A great experience with supportive staff and friendly families

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive and communicative management and owners, hardworking staff, wonderful families, benefits available, built-in vacation for Christmas holiday, ongoing staff training sessions

Cons

Pay rate is low, even for those with higher education degrees; no summer time off; sometimes gets a bit gossipy

Don't be afraid to make decisions without consulting staff to "feel it out."

There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School