There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Bel Air, MD
Current Employee - Teacher in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome families who appreciate the teachers and everything we do.
Owners and Directors are fair and really care about us both personally and professionally.
Fun team building and outside activities. My co-workers have degrees and a ton of training...so I do not get the other reviews.
Insurance, benefits, compensation, etc. all good.

Cons

Pay....but I get that this is the whole industry and not just my school.
We have our accreditation so that means 24 plus training hours and most trainings are offered in the evening which makes for a long day especially with a family at home.

Making sure afternoon staff take care of the room they are in and clean up.
Find more subs

121 Other Employee Reviews for The Goddard School (View Most Recent)

I stuck through it because I loved my kids but the Director of my school was terrible.

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

Pros

the kids! which I guess should be an obvious reason. I loved my kids, I loved the age group, I loved how big our classroom was, I loved my co-workers; loved loved loved them, we were like one big family, we all got along and enjoyed working with each other

Cons

Okay..where to start, the actual Goddard and State regulators that come to check up on the schools are actually very pleasant people but the owner of my particular school was something else entirely. First of all there was no "time clock" we had to write down what time we arrived and left everyday in a binder on a weekly paper that had our name on it..our school probably had over 30 employees and at the end of every week 2 people would go over EVERYONE'S sign in sheet to send into payroll so of course there were times when hours and pay didn't match up...simple solution..get a time clock!

Every year we were supposed to have a raise (if they thought we deserved one) and a discussion about how we were doing...well good luck with that. Unless you went up and asked for a raise or discussion, you didn't get one. There is also a LOT of favoritism. If you aren't one of the favorites forget about being treated like a human being. We, the staff, were actually told that if we needed to use the restroom we weren't allowed to ask another staff member to step into the room for a second (because in childcare you have to keep your room in ratio at all times, teacher-child ratio) we were told we HAD to wait for either the Assistant Director or Owner to come by and let us use the bathroom. So girls when your "time of the month" comes-a-calling and you gotta go right now or when the stomach flu hits, you better go buy some depends because you'll be waiting until someone is "available" to give you a bathroom break.

There aren't enough toys to rotate in and out of the classrooms, the kids get bored playing with the same stuff day in and day out, doing the same things day in and day out, even with a new lesson plan everyday, some of these kids are in your care for 12 hours!!! No matter how spectacular your lesson plan is 12 hours is a long day to have every second planned out..and feel free to go out and by your own toys, crafts, and games for the kids but expect to be spending most of your own money to by them which is fine if you're actually getting paid a decent amount of money but for the most part you're making somewhere around $10 an hour which isn't necessarily enough to support a family of 4 and supply your classroom with toys and such.

For the most part you will not be treated as an individual working at the Goddard School, the staff is treated as in-disposable, unless, like I stated earlier you're one of the favorites, there are a lot of negative comments and not enough positive praise coming from Management for all the hard work we do as Child Care workers/Teachers. I know that vomit, poop, sickness, biting, blood and boo-boos are all apart of working with children but treating your employees, who work their butts off everyday working 8am-6pm shifts, like they could be easily replaced isn't the way to go about a business. NO WONDER the Goddard School has such a high teacher turnover rate.

I will say the time I spent at Goddard I wouldn't take back or give up for anything. It taught me a lot about what I want to do with my future in terms of Teaching and I created a bond with a lot of women I wouldn't of met otherwise, I also loved the kids in my class, they kept me coming back everyday happy and proud to be so loved by kids that weren't even my own but in order to keep the good people around who will love the children at this school like their own children, Goddard really needs to work on APPRECIATION. We teach our kids to act a certain way and I believe some of the Owners of this school must have grown up and forgot one of the biggest rules of childhood.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. or at least try to do it without belittling everyone.

Learn to treat employees like they actually matter.

This school is a JOKE!!!

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Pasadena, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pasadena, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

All the teachers are amazing and truly love all the children and parents.

Cons

The owner doesn't know anything about children or education! The management is rude and careless about staff! As a teacher I felt like I had to act like I was walking on glass. The teacher turnover rate is unheard of! Management is all about quick fixes and putting on a front to make the situation seem better. They also don't allow the teachers to stay in md state law ratio because they don't keep enough teachers. The pay crappy too even if you have a degree!

Learn to treat your teachers with respect!

There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!