The Goddard School

www.goddardschool.com
  www.goddardschool.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School

Great Place to work, since the new owners took over.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Leesburg, VA
Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Leesburg, VA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The working environment is becoming more professional ever since there has been a change in the ownership. The new owners have added a new Director just to provide mentoring and coaching. There are offering lot more of training opportunities.

Cons

Some teachers need to step up...but overall a great place to work. Since all lesson Plans are created by Lead Teachers, it is great opportunity to show your creativity and your love for teaching the young children.

Keep doing what you are doing...your focus on personal growth is appreciated.

144 Other Employee Reviews for The Goddard School (View Most Recent)

"Standard of excellence"...not @ this location!

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Pasadena, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Pasadena, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the teachers I worked with although they are all gone & the main thing we discussed were grievances, except for gossip that was fueled by the owner.

Cons

Total lack of communication between office, teachers, & parents due to the fact that the owner figures out the most convenient answer on a case by case basis, constantly changing schedules for teachers, minimal pay, teacher turnover rate extremely high due to horrific working conditions, children allowed to come to school sick to infect other children & causing teachers to constantly be out sick, parents not always notified when their child is sick or has hit his/her head, expired milk & rotten fruit have been used for snack, uncertified staff conduct classes which are always out of ratio, & @ the end of the day when class sizes go down children are combined causing bedlam & parents must play hide & seek looking in every room & then outdoors to find their child. Not a safe environment for teachers or students.

Keep your walkie talkies operational.1 teacher outside over ratio (which is almost daily) is very dangerous. Coordinate your supply list, teachers never have supplies they need. Update the staff pic on your website. All the teachers in it are long gone! Last but not least try a little honesty.

Horrible Place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Florence, KY

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no pros to working at this place what so ever. I would never recommend this as a place to work at.

Cons

When I went in for the interview I was told I would be working in a classroom with the age group of 24-36 months. I was excited, normally these children are out of diapers and have a good enough grasp on how school goes, they are also an age group were planning lessons was pretty simple and fun. The first day of working there they just threw me into a classroom. They had no idea when I arrived at 9am. where I would be aiding for the day. So they put me in a classroom of about 6 children (state standard for 1 teacher for this age group) and the age group was 15-24 months . I was alright with the change, it was not what I had expected but I could make it work. I was in there about for about 2 minutes when they brought in 3 more children from another classroom so the other classroom could make ratio. The lead teacher was very nice she hardly ever had a negative word to say.

Two days later I came in and found out they were going to put me with even younger children, 9-14 months. I was not happy at all by this change. The children were always crying, and they were unable to comprehend most of what was said to them. By my noon break I was very upset. This was not what I had agreed upon when I accepted this job. I went to my friends house on my break and cried because I was so upset over the change. He suggested I talk to the director and let her know that I was unhappy and I would like to be placed in an older age group. So as soon as I got back from break I went into her office and talked with her about being put with older children. She said that she would see what she could do but for the duration I was stuck where I was.

The next day I came in and she made a valiant attempt to put me in an older age group. The group she put me with were the 24-36 month group. Some were still potty training and a couple others had big kid panties on. I was so happy with this group. I automatically told them that I loved this group and would love to keep working with them.

Throughout the next week and half I was bounced from several different rooms, including the two rooms I hated, the infant room and the 9-14 month room. While I was in the 24-36 month room I did observe some peculiar and appalling things. The lead teacher would yell at children who went potty in their diapers, or big kid panties. She yelled at one little boy and began to cry and then she proceeded to tell him his daddy would be very mad at him and that he had to tell his father what he did when he came to pick him up. She also yelled at this sweet little girl and told the child that her mommy would not be happy to hear about her going potty in her panties.

For a school that does not believe in does not believe in discipline (time out) and only wants the teachers to use redirection, I saw several children sitting in time out. Also if a parent was coming in they would quickly have the child sitting in time out go play or stick a book in front of them to make it look as if the child was supposed to be reading. Also we were never supposed to force the children to participate in an activity they didn’t want to. However many of the teachers forced the children to sit in for their circle time, also would make the children play at centers that they didn’t want to be playing in. I would like to make it clear that I realize that children do need to be forced to do things they do not want to do. It is a part of life you must do things you do not want, however when a school has a policy they need to make sure their teachers are following the policy.

This school only seems to care about making state ratio. They shuffle children around from class to class to make sure they are always on ratio. Even if that means moving a child up into a class they are not supposed to be in. Towards the end of the day there was a lot of child shuffling going on so they could let teachers go home. I was scheduled 9am to 6pm every day. I left anywhere between 4:30-5:30 every day.

We were having a very bad winter this year and the road were very bad. I lived in a rural area where the roads were not touched by snow plows, so if it snowed and iced over night it was very dangerous for me to leave my home especially living on a hill. I called that morning and told them I would be coming in but it would be around noon. The assistant director was so nice and said that would be just fine. Later I texted the main director and told her I would be coming in and she responded saying there were not many children there so they didn’t need me to come in and to come in at 9am the next day. I was alright with that the roads were still bad so I didn’t want to chance wrecking my car for $8 an hr.

The next day I came in to find out that the girl in the 4 year old class was a no call no show and I would be taking her place. I was pretty excited by this because I really wanted to work with the older group. After 2 days of working with her I came in on Friday and expected to continue working with her. She told me that she was at ratio and didn’t need the help and to go ask the director if I would be needed somewhere else. There was a parent/relative job show going on in the Pre-K room so they didn’t really need me to do anything.

The director asked me to clean out the refrigerator since it hadn’t been done in a while. Then once that was done she had me clean the foyer. Finally the owner of the school and the director pulled me into a room and told me they were letting me go, because they wanted to hire me for the 9-14 month group and I didn’t wish to work with them. I told her that when I went in for the interview she told me different. She made no attempt to answer on why she did that.

Get your crap together, is my best advice. Realize what your employees are doing, because when the director is not around your employees are doing what they want.

There are newer employer reviews for The Goddard School