The Hartford

www.thehartford.com
  www.thehartford.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

They always do the right thing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While I worked there, they were very forward-thinking with respect to HR management, invested in their staff - particularly with their emerging leadership program, and always erred on the side of doing the right thing. Highly ethical and highly respected.

Cons

Standard bureaucracy of a larger company, not particularly innovative from a product perspective, poor recent financial performance

Enjoyed working there, learned a lot, was a shame my division was sold off.

664 Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford (View Most Recent)

Good company, tough times

Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good flex time

Cons

Selling off businesses, many employees leaving, extra work for those remaining with no extra comp

Decent benefits, but pathetic salaries

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO is generous compared to similar firms and medical/dental benefits are decent. 401k program only offers Hartford mutual funds, which are pathetic; one of few companies left offering a pension on top of 401k, which is nice.

Cons

Salaries are extremely low and not competitive. Hartford chooses to map salaries for jobs to other companies in the industry (which is normal), but does an "apples to oranges" comparison and doesn't appear to reach outside of the insurance sector to compare jobs and duties appropriately when mapping salaries. Also, depending upon what part of the company you work for, employees may or may not have the lattitude to make simple decisions without extensive consultation with management. I don't have this problem, but people who work in different divisions of the company from me do.

Figure out what it is you want this company to be and then empower the employees at all levels to achieve those results. Additionally, see my "cons" as I'm not the only person who shares these thoughts.

There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford