The Hartford
www.thehartford.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

Tons of time off but too stressful

Customer Care Associate (Former Employee)
Santee, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time for less than a year

ProsI worked customer service in the Santee,CA office. They give you time off before your first 3 months and lots after that. The benefits started the first day and were great. They still have the old style retirement plan. People are very nice and professional. Everyone wants you to succeed and people at all levels are very supportive. They actually enforce bans on using cell phones and radios at the desks and do their best to keep it quiet and not let employees disturb others. You can actually concentrate, unlike other companies that let workers run wild with radios and cell phones. Parking is very easy and there are several microwaves in the lunchroom along with a TV. The training room is large and right next to the lunchroom and the back stairs. Security is great M-F and they are there at night if you want them to walk you to your car. They are very friendly,not intimidating. The cubes are huge! You will end up with more drawers than you need. One of the most spacious cubes I have ever seen. There are two private rooms for breaks and lunch if you want to talk on your cell or they provide phones for dialing local numbers. Smokers have an area outside by the back door but it gets very hot out there in the summer and fall.

ConsHigh turnover and excessive focus on metrics. During and after training, reps are so focused on getting calls down to 7 min or less that they stress out and don't care about helping the customers as much as getting them off the phone asap. Managers are quick to fire people that are just a few points below one metric. New reps have to work to 9pm 4 nights a week and come in at 7am every Saturday. If a customer is still on the phone after 9pm, you cannot get off the phone sometimes until almost 9:30pm. That means if you work on a Friday night to 9:30, get home by 10pm, you are back in the office less than 9 hours later. Forget about getting 8 hrs of sleep even if you leave right at 9pm. Wages are $14.90 an hour to start. The training class prepares you for the job but it can be very tiring and grueling at times. They will fire you during the 3 months or so of training if you do not pass a test on the second attempt. Three people in my training class quit since they were so worried about not passing a test and getting fired.
The manager I was assigned to after training told us that she has a lot of discretion on awarding raises and unless we were at the very top, we could not even expect a 1% raise. Just doing better than your goals would not merit even a tiny raise. You had to be a few levels above your goal. Very few people in units actually meet those standards and they usually have been there for more than a year when they do.
Lunches are only 30 minutes so unless you go to Carls Jr across the street, you will have to drive to the others and will end up choking down your food in your car. In training, they sometimes give you extra time,sometimes we had 45 min lunches.
You cannot plan your breaks and lunches. After training class, it is done by a centralized computer system so one day you could come in at 12:30pm and take a break at 1:45, the next day at 2:30. You sign on and off on the computer and they do not tolerate being even a minute late coming back from breaks and lunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you have to measure performance to promote and award raises but the focus on metrics is too much. People have actually had nervous breakdowns over this. The $14.90 pay for experienced reps is too low for this much stress. It should be at least $17 an hour. You are paying thousands of dollars per person to train them, why are you letting people go just because they don't meet one metric, especially when they are just a few percentage points below?

Largely over staffed and under-utilized

Financial Associate (Current Employee)
Woodbury, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

Pros: Flexible work schedule Good Benefits Good Work Environment Cons: Boring work Lack of Work Lack of engagement Poor Reward Structure Advice to Senior Management: Lean out the staff and start utilizing employee talent to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good company, good work, life balance

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good benefits, great pto, decent management Cons: Old fashioned, limited opps for growth Advice to Senior Management: Increase internet expenditures Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on The Hartford.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Hartford CEO Liam McGee. All reviews posted anonymously by The Hartford employees.